[comp.society] Age of the Hand Held

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (11/22/90)

Seen at Comdex:

What will the next generation of computers hold for us?  If the vision
of the hardware and software developers comes true, we will all be
walking around with hand-held game sized 386's in our pockets.

Seem far fetched?  Intel is developing the technology for a computer on
a chip (x86?).  Microsoft sees the graphical user interface (GUI or
gooie) as a prime vehicle for hand helds with script recognition/pen
input.  And several hardware manufacturers are already making pocket
sized computers with keyboards; others are making keyboardless computers
with touch recognition LCD screens.

When the barrier is broken, it will put a computer in every pocket like
there is a computer on almost every desktop.  Computer literacy and
extensive classes on how to use them should disappear.  We'll all learn
to "program" them like we learn to program our VCR's (heaven help us!)

Mike Ungerman

kotlas@uncecs.edu (Carolyn M. Kotlas) (11/24/90)

Mike Ungerman writes:

> ...  Computer literacy and extensive classes on how to use them should
> disappear.  We'll all learn to "program" them like we learn to program
> our VCR's (heaven help us!)

Does this mean that we computer trainers and consultants had better
start looking into other career paths before we're made obsolete??

Carolyn Kotlas

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (11/24/90)

You forgot voice (even crude audio I/O).

I think I saw such a unit over the weekend not available in the US
commercially at this time?  Small, impressive.

Consider more stuff like wrist sized units.

e. nobuo miya

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Dan Herrick) (11/27/90)

> Mike Ungerman writes:

>> ...  Computer literacy and extensive classes on how to use them should
>> disappear.  We'll all learn to "program" them like we learn to program
>> our VCR's (heaven help us!)

Carolyn Kotlas responds:

> Does this mean that we computer trainers and consultants had better
> start looking into other career paths before we're made obsolete??

Don't be silly.  It means that your market will be an order of
magnitude bigger.

Dan Herrick

rjg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Bob Gautier) (11/28/90)

I think the age of the handheld *computer* will be very short.  We are
just beginning to see reasonably powerful machines which can be hand held
(e.g. the PalmTop).  These will no doubt develop over the next few years.
But we are also beginning to see the introduction of very widespread and
fast digital communications, which I think will in the end remove the
necessity for local computation.

Over recent years, in moving from the single mainframe, to remote
timesharing, to the personal computer, and finally to the X terminal,
we have seen the balance between local and remote computing move.
Currently we are using machines enormously more powerful than the machines
we once used as standalone personal computers, simply as user interface
servers.

I think this will happen to the handheld too.  It will be little more than
a personal terminal -- a very intelligent cellular phone.  Perhaps it will
do voice recognition and synthesis locally -- this would allow remote
applications to be speaker and maybe even language independent.
Making the handheld the user interface, not the computer, will permit
better standardisation of its functions, allowing much of it to be
implemented in specially designed silicon (or whatever).

Bob Gautier

Bob Gautier writes:

> But we are also beginning to see the introduction of very widespread and
> fast digital communications, which I think will in the end remove the
> necessity for local computation.

We've heard this one before.

The operations performed on data are increasingly extensive, local
computation increasingly capable of doing it, and the volume of data
is pushing increasingly hard on the available bandwidth.

Rather than a pendulum swing back away from local computing, I consider
the X terminal an abberation caused by the poor factoring of computation
and bandwidth requirements in the X protocol.

Peter da Silva

heerickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Dan Herrick) (11/30/90)

Bob Gautier writes:

> .. we are also beginning to see the introduction of very widespread and
> fast digital communications, which I think will in the end remove the
> necessity for local computation.

It is nice to have a computer available, right at hand, so to speak.

> Over recent years, in moving from the single mainframe, to remote
> timesharing, to the personal computer, and finally to the X terminal,
> we have seen the balance between local and remote computing move.
> Currently we are using machines enormously more powerful than the machines
> we once used as standalone personal computers, simply as user interface
> servers.

But a similar machine is being used by someone down the hall as
his standalone personal computer.  Both configurations are needed.

> I think this will happen to the handheld too.  It will be little more than
> a personal terminal -- a very intelligent cellular phone...

The cellular phone is more than a communication device.  It continually
broadcasts the physical location of its user to one of the two local
cellular phone systems - thus there is a large computer belonging to
a local utility that always knows where the cellular phone user is.
Some people will avoid, on principal, giving away such information.

One of the important uses for the laptop computer is to allow one to
continue work or play while travelling, including air travel.  I once
tried to use an Air Phone while spending an unplanned two hours sitting
in an airplane.  That technology does not work as well as cellular
phones on the ground.  A computer access device that does not work well
on an airplane would be crippled from the point of view of an important
part of the market (the part that pays high prices to have it first).

Electromagnetic Spectrum space is a critical resource.  The cellular
allocations can accomodate ten times as much traffic as they are getting
now, maybe even a hundred, but not ten thousand times.  This is a
technical problem and solvable.

Users of cellular phones (and personal wireless phones) don't seem to
realize that they are essentially standing up in the middle of a
crowded stadium and shouting.  Anyone who wants to listen to their
conversation can.  Many people who do NOT use such devices do realize
that they are broadcasting stations.

You probably use your computer to compute your taxes and plan your
budget.  Do you want to do this in such a way that anyone who wants
to look over your shoulder can?  Do you really believe everybody does?
I keep an elaborate personal financial database on my hard disk in my
computer.  I won't keep it on his hard disk on his computer.  He will
plan security on his computer to protect his data.  I don't pay rent
every month for the space that holds that data base.  I don't want to.

In summary, there is a market for the centralized system you propose.
However, there is a market for decentralized systems, and now that we
have them, no one will take them away from us.

Dan Herrick

lindsay@watnow.waterloo.edu (Lindsay Patten) (12/04/90)

Peter da Silva notes:

> Rather than a pendulum swing back away from local computing, I consider
> the X terminal an abberation caused by the poor factoring of computation
> and bandwidth requirements in the X protocol.

On the other hand the X terminal can be viewed as an easy to use interface
to centralized resources.  Not everyone wants to deal with all the hassles
of running their own workstation.  I can stick an X terminal on a prof's
desk and they can use it immediately with minimal support required.  A
lot of people are willing to pay someone else to deal with administrative
chores and minimizing the complexity of the remote (user) system helps.

I certainly don't want a completely centralized system but I do think
there is a huge mass of people out there that want the simplest possible
system sitting on their desk with someone else dealing with tech. stuff.

Lindsay Patten

gast@CS.UCLA.EDU (David Gast) (12/06/90)

Bob Gautier writes:

> I think the age of the handheld *computer* will be very short.  We are
> just beginning to see reasonably powerful machines which can be hand held
> (e.g. the PalmTop).

One problem with small machines is that it is difficult and slow input
data.  Yes, that will change when we can speak or scan to input, but
in the meantime those small devices are just too impractical.

> But we are also beginning to see the introduction of very widespread and
> fast digital communications, which I think will in the end remove the
> necessity for local computation.

Well, from a privacy standpoint, we should prefer local computation.
There are good economic arguments to made for either local or central
computation.  The cost of communication is just one variable.

David Gast

Lindsay Patten writes:

> On the other hand the X terminal can be viewed as an easy to use interface
> to centralized resources.  Not everyone wants to deal with all the hassles
> of running their own workstation.

While this is true, there are more efficient technologies that provide the
same remote capability such as NeWS or AT&T's DMD line of smart windowing
terminals. But now you have the local terminal, while being completely
diskless, doing a significant amount of local processing instead of just
displaying bits received over the net.

Peter da Silva

a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) (12/06/90)

Lindsay Patten writes:

> On the other hand the X terminal can be viewed as an easy to use interface to
> centralized resources.  Not everyone wants to deal with all the hassles of
> running their own workstation.

The hassles of a present-day personal workstation are a matter of poor
design or of giving ease-of-use low priority as a design criteria.  In
fact, I don't think it makes a difference whether the resources are
central or local; it's all a matter of interface design criteria.

Nick Janow

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (12/10/90)

Since everyone seems to think that a hand held computer is too small for
"regular" and "power" applications, how about taking that technology and
putting the whole thing in a standard sized keyboard?  Then a typical
desk top system would consist of a keyboard with plugs/jacks on the back
and internal 2" hard drive and a monitor or color LCD screen.

Mike Ungerman

szabo%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Nick Szabo) (12/10/90)

The data requirements of a team of people are often very complex.
*Somebody* has to deal with that complexity.  It is either centralized in
the factory that makes the computer (as in the Mac), or centralized in
the system administrator of the team.  The latter case is better when
the computer maker cannot anticipate all the needs of the team, and
the team is forced to jump into the thicket to create an environment
suitable for its work.

Also, nobody has satisfactorilly solved the problem of making a network
of computers easy to use.  Thus, any significantly large team that must
communicate data needs local system administration.

Nick Szabo