[comp.society] Computer Communication and the Gulf War

thom@dewey.soe.Berkeley.EDU (Thom Gillespie) (01/29/91)

Sorry to digress so quickly from Timothy's initial question but I'm
wondering why there isn't more 'mail' communication from the Gulf about
the Gulf.  During Tiennamen Square we had Soc.China.  Where's Soc.Gulf
'from' the Gulf.  With China it looked like countries were without
walls.  It seems to me that the US and Israel have erected amazing
'computer-assisted' walls to insure that we have 'no' communication with
'the people' of Irag, not just Saddam.  For me, this seems much more
dangerous than all the 'smart' weapons used so far.  I hope I'm wrong
and that someone can direct me to a lively discussion from within Iraq.

I walked with 250,000 peace loving folks down Market street in San
Francisco and then watched the NBC National News make not one mention of
this event at 6 o'clock.

Thom Gillespie

taylor@intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) (01/29/91)

Thom Gillespie asks about the use of technology and computers
as a vehicle for communication and information dissemination in
the Gulf War currently raging in the Middle East.  A few thoughts:

First off, there are Usenet groups specifically discussing the
war: "alt.desert-storm" and "alt.desert-storm.facts" (demonstrating
by their very names the continuing clash between fact and opinion)
Prior to the actual launch of the offensive, there was a group in
the same heirarchy "alt.desert-shield" which transitioned.

Secondly, I'm sure that there are not only other groups discussing
the topic, but I know that there are other mailing lists that have
information from Israeli correspondents showing up regularly.  In
particular, CRTNet has done a great job of reporting not only on
what's going on in Israel, but adding thoughtful comments about the
importance and limitations of computer-based media in a situation
like the Gulf War.

Whether the NBC national news covers the peace demonstrations is,
most unfortunately, a function of their belief in whether they can
get "the best ratings" of the news shows competing for the viewer
dollar.  The National Broadcasting Company ultimately cares little
as a commercial organization about the morals and ethics of the
current situation; they're more concerned with people flipping to
CNN instead of NBC for the news, taking away their advertising
revenue.  It's a hard fact of our capitalistic society.  (by the
same token, how many companies that have donated to the troops have
done it out of a feeling of patriotism and support?  If they did,
why the press releases?  Why the stories about them?  Sadly, there
are quite a few companies around the world cashing in on the war,
ignoring the death and destruction to both sides)

Last week the Wall Street Journal had a very interesting article
about computer BBS systems located in Israel and elsewhere, where
submissios from throughout the Middle East were de rigeur and were
avidly read by those not in the thick of things.  I recommend that
you check it out, Thom; page one, column four, from either Thursday
or Friday of last week.

The people of Iraq, by the way, can't communicate with us via
electronic means because they haven't the technology to do so, for
the most part.  Additionally, there are significant problems with
not only getting any electricity but in finding working phone lines
that aren't being pre-empted by diplomatic/official uses.  I also
wonder what we'd hear from the Iraqi people -- would they echo the
sentiments of their leader?  Would they question the value of the
war?  Or would they, as Jordan has been reporting to their people,
talk about the war between Israel and Iraq, noting how the US has
come to "defend the Jewish State yet again"?

Since we're in a state of war, the information disseminated by our
government (and the governments of the rest of the allied forces)
is intended not only to keep us, the American (Allied) populace
informed, but to convey information to the Iraqi government too.
By the same token, when Hussein addresses his people via a national
radio broadcast, he knows that we'll hear it in this country too.
Again, citing the Wall Street Journal, they were surprised to find
that about 85% of the people surveyed in the US believe that the
Pentagon and White House are doing a fine job of keeping us informed
and balancing the secrets of wartime with the need for public
dissemination of information.  By contrast, journalists at the
briefings are clearly more and more disgruntled with the obstacles
they perceive in "getting the real story".

Frankly, as a journalist myself, I'm a bit embarrassed at my colleagues
who insist that the right to know ALL that's going on is tantamount and
more important than any sort of security and confidentiality.  Freedom
of the press, to me, means that the press is free to publish what they
choose, not that they have the inherent right to all information,
regardless of validity or external environmental factors and concerns.
After all, they don't publish accusations of child molesting since
the cases where people have had their reputations irrevocably besmirched
then afterwards proven innocent...

Whether or not we should be in the Gulf, and whether or not we should
have launched the Desert Storm offensive is not particularly relevant
to this group, frankly, so I shall refrain from any comments, and
hope that others responding to this most interesting topic do the
same.  Remember, there *are* other forums for those that are interested
in discussing these topics.

Dave Taylor

adamg@world.std.com (Adam M Gaffin) (01/29/91)

Robert Werman, a professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has been
posting daily accounts - sort of a "Jerusalem Diary" -  in the Usenet
group soc.culture.jewish.  A couple of other Israelis have also posted
various accounts there.

Adam Gaffin

thom@dewey.soe.Berkeley.EDU (Thom Gillespie) (01/30/91)

Adam M. Gaffin writes:

> Robert Werman, a professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has been
> posting daily accounts - sort of a "Jerusalem Diary" -  in the Usenet
> group soc.culture.jewish.  A couple of other Israelis have also posted
> various accounts there.

Thanks I'll check this out and the suggestions by Dave Taylor, the Wall
Street journal article, but I'd like to hear some news from Inside Iraq.
Dave suggested that "The people of Iraq, by the way, can't communicate
with us via electronic means because they haven't the technology to do
so, for the most part." I can't believe that the people of Iraq are any
less advanced than the people of China were during the Tiennamen Square
event -- that was an information fire storm with email and fax addresses
bouncing all over the place. I may be just imaginative but I can't help
but imagine that we've killed tens of thousands of civilian iraqis -- like
in Vietnam -- and it isn't showing up on our news because the public
doesn't like to see stuff like that.

I mean who do you trust in this situation? Dan Rather? Robert Werman? Why?

And I do think that this is the proper forum for discussing computers in the
war whether they are used for smart bombs or communications, it is all
computers in society.

Is there anyone who doesn't realize that the Gulf War is also an enormous
weapons testing research project. We are told about the successes, what about
the failures? How many have there been and what have been the consequences?

Thom Gillespie

pete@saturn.ucsc.edu (Peter Hughes) (01/30/91)

Thom Gillespie writes:

> I walked with 250,000 peace loving folks down Market street in San
> Francisco and then watched the NBC National News make not one mention of
> this event at 6 o'clock.

NBC is owned by General Electric, one of the largest military
contractors.  Three guesses why they didn't cover the march (the
first two don't count).

Peter Hughes

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (01/30/91)

Thom Gillespie writes that he wants to hear news over the net from inside
Iraq, and can't understand why we haven't heard from them like we did from
folks inside China about Tiennamen Square.

There are two reasons to consider.  First, China has nearly 100 times the
population of Iraq.  Even though both countries are relatively poor, it's
a fair bet that there are a lot more folks with computer access in China
than in Iraq.  The second, obvious, reason is that Tiennaman Square was not
an attempt to destroy the military and industrial centers of the country.
Communications in Iraq at this point are probably chancy at best, and even
electrical power is unavailable in many areas.  So it's little wonder that
we don't see lots of Iraqi messages on the net....

Thom, you also say "is there anyone who doesn't realize that the Gulf War
is also an enormous weapons testing research project.  We are told about the
successes, what about the failures?"  Now, there's no doubt that the military
and the contractors are paying very close attention to how well different
weapons systems are working--they'd be foolish not to.  But your implication
that this is the reason (or even *a* reason) to go to war is uncalled for.

No doubt there have been failures.  Bombs have been dropped off-target, and
no doubt you've seen the photos of the town northwest of Baghdad that was
destroyed.  But what kind of information do you expect?  There's only one
western journalist left in the whole country, and everything he says has to
pass by Iraqi censors.  Iraq portrayed that village as an example of the
kind of indiscriminate bombing that they claim we are doing.  But I'd lay
odds that there was a military target of some sort in that village (perhaps
one of the mobile Scud launchers?), as it was just too far out of the way to
get bombed by accident.

Bradley

thom@dewey.soe.Berkeley.EDU (Thom Gillespie) (01/31/91)

Bradley Richards writes:

> Thom, you also say "is there anyone who doesn't realize that the Gulf
> War is also an enormous weapons testing research project.  We are told
> about the successes, what about the failures?"  Now, there's no doubt
> that the military and the contractors are paying very close attention to
> how well different weapons systems are working--they'd be foolish not
> to.  But your implication that this is the reason (or even *a* reason)
> to go to war is uncalled for.

This is not uncalled for.  Years ago I worked on a piece regarding
Hiroshima.  In the process of doing the show I discovered -- in public
libraries -- that a major reason for dropping the Atomic bomb was as a
research project.  The biggest stumbling block was where to drop the
bomb.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki are not good research sites for a
quantitative test site because they are flat.  If you really want to
test the bomb you want a good valley or bowl shape -- just like Kyoto,
the religious center of Japan.  This was considered a good site because
it was bowl like -- the fact that it had no significant military sites
and it was a religious center had little meaning for many of the
decision makers.  Luck and common sense will win out -- some say !!

I was not suggesting that we went to war to test weapons, I was
suggesting that this becomes a good test site for 'testing new weapons'

> ... Iraq portrayed that [bombed] village as an example of the kind of
> indiscriminate bombing that they claim we are doing.  But I'd lay odds
> that there was a military target of some sort in that village ...

This was the same reasoning which suggested that the baby food factory
could have been used for chemical weapons testing after the designers of
the factory from New Zealand said that it was a baby food factory.

Thom Gillespie

sac@apple.com (Steve Cisler) (01/31/91)

You might read comp.risks for a discussion of technology that is
not working in the War.

Re: Iraq communications.  I know that short-wave radios are banned in
Iraq, so I doubt that modems are commonly used.  I did meet a U.N.
telecomms consultant who was helping Iraq set up a Minitel system
(they never did) so that the Iraqi women could be educated at home.
This was meant to appease the Shiite fundamentalists within the
country.   I have also see reference to American firms receiving
faxes from Iraqi organizations (requesting weapons components, etc),
but I'll bet there are few in the hands the techno-geeks in Baghdad
or Basra.

Steve Cisler