[net.works] TCP/IP and system V

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (01/13/85)

   Maybe I'm out of touch (partly because we're new on Usenet). But I'm
going to ask, anyway. Does anyone know about a TCP/IP implementation
on a pure system V ? I know about the Pyramid system. But what can
one do if he's stuck with just system V and no Berkeley ?
   I'd love to know how this was done. There's of course the possibility
to have just the Ethernet (or any other) physical media driver in the
kernel and do the upper layers as user processes. But then most likely
the performance is lousy. Or maybe you can't even keep up with the data
rates.
   Did anyone implement it and how ? Even more - any rumors about AT&T's
intentions to implement some normal networking in system V.x.x ?
   Thanks for info / rumors / ideas / flames , etc.

				Gershon Shamay

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (01/18/85)

     We have fully operational System V Release 2 IP/TCP hosts on the
Internet, using a much-modified 3COM UNET and either 3COM Ethernet cards
or DEC DMRs.  FORD-WDL2.ARPA is one such host.  Unfortunately,

	3COM no longer sells UNET,

	we don't sell our code, and

	3COM doesn't make its UNIBUS Ethernet card any more.

If anyone out there, though, wants to make this into a commercial product,
and can come to terms with 3COM, we might be able to work something out.
Serious inquiries only, please.

     A more promising route would be to interface the Communications
Machinery Corporation IP/TCP Ethernet card to system V.  This is at least
a current product.

					John Nagle
					Ford Aerospace and Communications Corp.

mab@ttidcb.UUCP (Michael A. Bloom) (01/29/85)

In article <211@wdl1.UUCP> jbn@wdl1.UUCP writes:

>	3COM no longer sells UNET,
>	we don't sell our code, and
>	3COM doesn't make its UNIBUS Ethernet card any more.
>
>If anyone out there, though, wants to make this into a commercial product,
>and can come to terms with 3COM, we might be able to work something out.

I doubt this is possible.  While trying to obtain some spare 3com
boards recently, and discovering that they no longer made them, I
asked 3com what their price would be to custom make some for us.

The person I spoke with told me he'd have to get back to me, and when he
did, he told me that 3com could not sell them at any price, because they
had already sold the rights to their board to DEC.

No,  he had no idea what DEC was doing with their board.

--

--    Michael Bloom 	---  {philabs,trwrb,cadovax,randvax}!ttidca!mab