[net.works] Finding multiple bugs in one pass

@RUTGERS.ARPA:goun%cadlac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (02/22/85)

From: goun%cadlac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Roger H. Goun)

> I'm not looking to bring back the memory dump.  What I *would* like
> to see, though, is some form of interactive debugging which promotes
> the finding of more than one bug in a run.  No, I don't have any
> suggestions.

Even in an interactive environment, fixing, recompiling, and reexecuting a
program each time a single bug is discovered can be a time-consuming task,
especially on a heavily loaded system.  Often when I discover a program error
while using a symbolic debugger, I will "patch" around the error and
continue the debugging run.  This is usually accomplished simply by
depositing the proper value in some variable.

I've found this technique to be a great timesaver.

					-- Roger Goun

ARPA:    goun%cadlac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cadlac!goun
USPS:    Digital Equipment Corp., APO-1/B4
         100 Minuteman Road; Andover, MA 01810-1098
Tel:     (617) 689-1675

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (02/27/85)

Would someone please explain what's so wrong with fixing only one bug
in a run? Seems to me it is good practice NOT to try to fix more than
one problem at a time. This avoids possible interactions which weren't
anticipated.

Of course, if the compiler is slow you may be forced into making more
than one fix at a time, but it's still undesirable in itself.

I think what people are really trying to say is that programmers should
spend more time looking at, and understanding, their programs, rather
than mindlessly setting breakpoints. I can agree with this, but I'm not
convinced that interactive environments really encourage the opposite
among good programmers.

    Radford Neal
    The University of Calgary