[net.works] Is a Limited Budget Full-Screen Bitmap Display Available?

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Bakin.AWEST@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (02/26/85)

From: Bakin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

I'm trying to put together a personal workstation for under $10K.  I have
many possibilities for main CPU + disks, but nothing comes to mind
for a high-res bitmap display.  I'm looking for 1024 x 800 at least but
the most I can find is 1) a Tecmar board for the IBM PC that does 700 x 700
and 2) a Corvus Concept.  Can anyone point me to other equipment?  Thanks
in advance!  -- Dave Bakin (Bakin @ mit-multics)

kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) (02/26/85)

xxx
Check out the Teletype 5620 DMD.  I think it has 1000x800 resolution, fully
addressable.  It also offers a multi-window multiplexed UNIX interface.
The new price is somewhere around $4000.
--
Kenton Lee
Bell Labs - WB

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (03/05/85)

In article <hoxna.466> kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) writes:
>xxx
>Check out the Teletype 5620 DMD.  I think it has 1000x800 resolution, fully
>addressable.  It also offers a multi-window multiplexed UNIX interface.
>The new price is somewhere around $4000.
				   ^^^^^^

Don't forget the cost of the software! The driver software for the
host is around $5000 (can't remember for sure). You need the
development system to do anything with the terminal in bit-map mode
(has a WE32000 in it) and this costs $15000 alone!

In dumb terminal mode, it does not even have inverse video, it uses
XON/XOFF over 4800 baud and still manages trip over incoming chars,
... and is generally unsuitable except for the 66 line by 87 column
display.

I agree the hardware is a great price, but without the software it's
a very expensive (and dumb) adm-3, and for the cost of the hardware
and software you could buy a Sun.

	-fitz
	lef@nlm-vax

olmp@olgba.UUCP (Mike Pellatt) (03/13/85)

In aricle  <153@nlm-vax.ARPA> lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) writes
(Re the Teletype 5620,alias dmd,alias blit)

> Don't forget the cost of the software! The driver software for the
> host is around $5000 (can't remember for sure). You need the
> development system to do anything with the terminal in bit-map mode
> (has a WE32000 in it) and this costs $15000 alone!

   Unless, of course, you have a 3b2 as your host, in which case binaries
are available at following prices in pounds sterling (rapidly approaching
dollars !!! ):

   Core Package (layers,jim editor,and other goodies)	approx 150
   Text Processing (a fine front-end to DWB)		approx 100
   Application Development (real hackers stuff !!)	approx 400

   Now that isn't as pricey as a Sun....

Mike Pellatt, Software Support, AT&T Computer Division,
British Olivetti Ltd., Wellington House, 154-160 Upper Richmond Road,
LONDON, SW15 2FN.
Tel: National:    01-789 6699		Fax: National:    01-874 3014
     Internat: +44 1 789 6699		     Internat: +44 1 874 3014

     Telex: 27258			Uucp : olgb1!olmp