[net.works] WORKS Digest V5 #11

@RUTGERS.ARPA:CharlieLevy.es@Xerox.ARPA (03/14/85)

From: CharlieLevy.es@XEROX.ARPA

"> For that reason, I'm particularly interested in hearing about how
> people get interactive systems (like airline or bank) running in a
> world with few or no interactive programming tools.

i would be mildy surprised to hear from many of those people [i know
are are some] on this net."

Well, around 1969 I designed a system to serve 40 users interactively
(on teletypes) on a 360/40 with only three partitions. I made my own
mini-time-sharing system within one of the partitions. Programming was
strictly batch--submit punched cards once a day. It was only a matter of
what the product was worth to the company. We had no expectations of
interactive programming (especially from IBM), but nevertheless we
realized that our customers (warehouse fork-lift jocks) HAD! to have a
friendly interactive system that they could run with thumbs an inch
thick. By 1975, the system had upgraded to a larger machine, serving 300
users. The development cost was huge, but apparently the payoff was
also.

Charlie