[net.works] IBM and the future

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/06/85)

> what interests me in the next ten to 15 years of computing is:
> 1) as micros approach mainframes in speed, what's ibm going to do? are
> they going to enter the supercomputer market by necessity?  are ibm's
> somewhat stagnate views of computing going to affect the rest of the market
> with pc/370 ideas?

IBM in the supercomputer market?  Not very likely.  IBM's strength is
in Business with a capital "B".  They've failed pretty miserably in
past attempts to expand into other markets.  About 15 years ago they
made a super number-cruncher called the 360/91.  They sold 4 of 'em.

A few years back they came out with a "home computer", the 16K IBM PC,
which had BASIC in ROM and a cassette port.  Remember that?  Nobody
bought it.  Instead, businesses bought the PC with dual disk drives,
and then Winchesters.  So IBM made another run at the "home computer"
market with the PC-jr.  They didn't sell many of those until they made
it capable of running business applications like Lotus 1-2-3.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/10/85)

In article <426@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>> what interests me in the next ten to 15 years of computing is:
>> 1) as micros approach mainframes in speed, what's ibm going to do? are
>> they going to enter the supercomputer market by necessity?  are ibm's
>> somewhat stagnate views of computing going to affect the rest of the market
>> with pc/370 ideas?
>
>IBM in the supercomputer market?  Not very likely.  IBM's strength is
>in Business with a capital "B".  They've failed pretty miserably in
>past attempts to expand into other markets.  About 15 years ago they
>made a super number-cruncher called the 360/91.  They sold 4 of 'em.

yes, but no-one else sold any either and IBM wasn't seriously in there
to sell more.  according to informed rumor, the Sierra processors have
changed the structure of the floating point hardware to significantly
decrease the average processing time of the instructions, not that this
is going to have cray worried or anything.  until IBM decides it is
profitable to do so, it will stay out of the supercomputer business.
IBM will never go into the supercomputer market out of neccesity
because it is they, more than anyone else, who control the direction
and rate of progress of the microcomputer market.  only when ALL OTHER
manufacturers decide on something and move in that direction will IBM
be forced to do anything.  history has shown that this is not likely to
happen and things will pretty much continue the way it has.  when IBM
decides it's time to make a supercomputer to challenge cray's, they
will dominate the market in less than five years.  whether this is good
or bad remains to be seen.

>A few years back they came out with a "home computer", the 16K IBM PC,
>which had BASIC in ROM and a cassette port.  Remember that?  Nobody
>bought it.  Instead, businesses bought the PC with dual disk drives,
>and then Winchesters.  So IBM made another run at the "home computer"
>market with the PC-jr.  They didn't sell many of those until they made
>it capable of running business applications like Lotus 1-2-3.  >--
>Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
just as any company, IBM has done some pretty stupid things.  what
counts is that there are enough good things being done and marketed
successfully to make up for it.

all this talk about powerful microcomputers replacing mainframes is
just talk until i/o devices of the speed and capacity of current
mainframe peripherals is available at prices that the average consumer
can afford.  i have been using a microVAX for a bit (running Ultrix)
and my number one gripe about it is that any disk i/o and my programs
grind to a halt.  if raw CPU power was all there was to IBM's, a lot of
other people would have a dominant position in the mainframe market.
business processing is dominated by i/o and that's where micro's just
haven't caught up yet.  optical disks may help, but they they'll also
be available for mainframes first, so nothing's going to change much
for most part.

ramblings from the keyboard of
Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/11/85)

ME> IBM in the supercomputer market?  Not very likely.  IBM's strength is
ME> in Business with a capital "B".  They've failed pretty miserably in
ME> past attempts to expand into other markets.  About 15 years ago they
ME> made a super number-cruncher called the 360/91.  They sold 4 of 'em.
>
> yes, but no-one else sold any either and IBM wasn't seriously in there
> to sell more.

Au contraire, this was the time that CDC made its fortune selling
Seymour Cray's 6400, 6600, and 7600 systems.  IBM's supercomputers were
designed in direct response to CDC's attempting to steal the scientific
marketplace that IBM had "owned" since the original 704.  CDC won, IBM
lost.  IBM tucked its tail 'twixt its legs and abandoned the scientific
market entirely.

> because it is [IBM], more than anyone else, who control the direction
> and rate of progress of the microcomputer market.

This is true only of "business" microcomputers.  IBM does not, for
instance, control the CAD market.  Nor does it control the "home
computer" market.  Nor the engineering workstation market.  If IBM did
control the entire microcomputer market, Motorola and National might as
well scrap their microprocessor designs.  (And I might as well go work
for IBM  :-)

> if raw CPU power was all there was to IBM's, a lot of
> other people would have a dominant position in the mainframe market.
> business processing is dominated by i/o and that's where micro's just
> haven't caught up yet.

On this we agree.  It was indeed IBM's peripherals that brought it to
prominence, and (to a large extent) keep IBM in the forefront of
business EDP.

> all this talk about powerful microcomputers replacing mainframes is
> just talk until i/o devices of the speed and capacity of current
> mainframe peripherals is available at prices that the average consumer
> can afford.

Average consumer?  We were talking about "replacing mainframes", and the
average consumer doesn't have one to replace.  :-)
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

conor@Glacier.ARPA (03/17/85)

> all this talk about powerful microcomputers replacing mainframes is
> just talk until i/o devices of the speed and capacity of current
> mainframe peripherals is available at prices that the average consumer
> can afford.
> Herb Chong...

Hear, hear!
I've been using a HP9000 since September, when our local Vax converted
to 4.2BSD, and we programmers lost our debugger (plug for Third Eye Software,
who wrote the HP-UX debugger). The 9000 is a fast
machine. It sits on a desktop and, even using software arithmetic,
does 70-80% of a VAX-780+FPA+8Meg for large simulation programs.
Unfortunately the disk doesn't keep up. With two, three users running
a mix of compile/edit/awk jobs, the CPU utilization factor measured
by the monitor program is 20-30%, and disk utilization is at 100%.
That's with two 2 CPUs running separate processes, so the total available
CPU utilization is 200%. Pretty dissappointing. Where it really hurts
is editing - vi a 2000 line file and you'll wait 30-40s for the disk copy.
Seems like a waste of a nice machine. Maybe someone at Fort Collins
would like to comment?

Conor Rafferty (conor@su-glacier.ARPA, conor@su-sierra.ARPA)