[net.works] DEC's Ultrix-32 a \"lookalike\"?!

kaiser@furilo.DEC (Pete Kaiser, 225-5441, HLO2-1/N10) (05/01/85)

Jiha Heinanen writes

	"Vax/VMS has a BSD4.x implementation, i.e. a 4.2BSD *lookalike*
	running under their propertiary [sic] OS."

Ultrix-32 and Ultrix-32m *are* 4.2BSD, with some additions for ease of instal-
lation and maintainability.  Perhaps Jiha is thinking of DECshell, which is an
implementation of the functionality of the Bourne shell and a great many signi-
ficant utilities, capable of running as a VAX/VMS CLI (command language inter-
face directly or underneath DCL.  DECshell has no pretension to be 4.2BSD.

But I repeat: Ultrix-32 and Ultrix-32m ARE 4.2BSD.

---Pete

Kaiser%JAWS.DEC@decwrl.arpa, Kaiser%BELKER.DEC@decwrl.arpa
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jaws!kaiser
DEC, 77 Reed Road (HLO2-1/N10), Hudson MA 01749		617/568-5441

leiby@masscomp.UUCP (Mike Leibensperger) (05/07/85)

In article <1948@decwrl.UUCP> kaiser@furilo.DEC (Pete Kaiser) writes:
>Jiha Heinanen writes
>
> >	"Vax/VMS has a BSD4.x implementation, i.e. a 4.2BSD *lookalike*
> >	running under their propertiary [sic] OS."
>
>Ultrix-32 and Ultrix-32m *are* 4.2BSD, with some additions for ease of instal-
>lation and maintainability.  Perhaps Jiha is thinking of DECshell...

I think Jiha meant something along the lines of Eunice(tm), which runs
under VMS but looks like Un*x.  What say, J.?

(Eunice is a trademark of the Woolongong Group, the Kangaroo Komputer Korp.)
--
Rt. Rev. Mike Leibensperger, Archbishop of Chelmsford
Church of St. Clint the Righteous  ("Feel lucky, Pink Boy?")

jih@usl.UUCP (Juha I. Heinanen) (05/10/85)

In article <692@masscomp.UUCP> leiby@masscomp.UUCP (Mike Leibensperger) writes:

>I think Juha meant something along the lines of Eunice(Tm), which runs
>under VMS but looks like Un*X.  What say, J.?

You are right.  I don't understand how someone can think me claimimg
that Ultrix is a Un*x lookalike when I say that "Vax/VMS has a 4.xBSD
implementation".  Ultrix has nothing to do with VMS, but Eunice and
Phoenix do.

Thanks for keeping things straight for me.
--
                              Juha Heinanen

USL, P.O. Box 44330, Lafayette, LA 70504-433, tel. (318)231-5345
UUCP:  {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jih         ARPA:  usl!jih@ut-sally