[aus.wanted] Definition of Fault Tolerant Architectures

ronb@otc.oz (Ron Barrett) (08/11/88)

I'm looking for CONCISE definitions of the following Fault Tolerant
architectures.
    1) tightly coupled.
  & 2) loosely coupled.

Any help/discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--
                Ron Barrett
            Network Development

ACSnet: ronb@otc.oz                     UUCP:   {uunet,mcvax}!otc.oz!ronb

peter@trlsasy.trl.oz (Peter Richardson) (08/12/88)

In article <433@otc.oz> ronb@otc.oz (Ron Barrett) writes:
>I'm looking for CONCISE definitions of the following Fault Tolerant
>architectures.
>    1) tightly coupled.
>  & 2) loosely coupled.
>
>Any help/discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have found that the following seems to work for most systems:

Loosely Coupled: each processor has its own local memory and IO resources.

Tightly Coupled: processors are not bound to particular memory or IO
	resources (implies high bandwidth interconnections).

To get a more general definition CONCISEness goes out the window.

---
Peter Richardson,			ACSnet: peter@trlsasy.trl.oz
Telecom Research Laboratories,  	UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!trlsasy.trl.oz!peter
PO. Box 249, Clayton, Vic. 3168,	Phone: (03) 541-6342
Australia.		        	Fax: (03) 544-2362