[aus.wanted] Appletalk under Xenix/Unix

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (09/22/88)

I am looking for a hardware/software package that will allow me to
interface an AT-Clone running Xenix/286 and/or a Motorola Delta (VMEBus,
68030) system running UNIX System V.3 to an Appletalk network.

In particular, I want to be able to send Postscript files to a laser printer
on the network.

Any suggestions of vendors and comments on the packages would be most
welcome, in particular if you are aware of an Australian distributor.
Please reply via Email.  I will summarise if warranted.

Disclaimer: some or all of the words above may, or may not, be trademarks
	of various vendors.
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!munnari!stca77.stc.oz!peter

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (10/11/88)

In article <296@stca77.stc.oz>, I wrote:
>I am looking for a hardware/software package that will allow me to
>interface an AT-Clone running Xenix/286 and/or a Motorola Delta (VMEBus,
>68030) system running UNIX System V.3 to an Appletalk network.

Thanks to the following people for responding:
tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans)
pp@iesd.dk (Peter Petersen)
paul@unisoft.UUCP (Paul Campbell)
geo@runx.ips.oz (George Bray)
dionj@sco.UUCP (Dion Johnson)

The solutions mostly suggested using an Ethernet<->AppleTalk gateway
(Kinetics Fastpath, Cayman Gatorbox and Webster Multigate were
suggested), with the Columbia University CAP package (PD) as a file
server/spooler.

One reply suggested that the MVME147 card (the most likely choice for
a 68030 DELTA CPU) has two Z8530 SCC's.  These are the chips that Apple
use for the AppleTalk interface and it should be possible to write a
driver to talk directly. [I recall seeing the 68000 code for AppleTalk,
or a close approximation thereto in a recent Dr Dobbs, but don't have the
reference handy, for anyone comtemplating this approach].

There was also a reference to 'PacerLink', which lets Macs and MS-DOS
PC's share a UNIX disk and spool to a serially connected LaserWriter.

Unfortunately, I don't have Ethernet on my XENIX box, and none of the
replies provided a more direct path than adding both Ethernet and a
Fastpath or similar, except for one reference that Kinetics have, or
are, working on a XENIX<->AppleTalk link.

The contacts I was given are:

Kinetics, Walnut Creek, CA, ph +1-415-947-0998, fax +1-415-947-1238.

The Gatorbox is an intelligent network gateway, currently supporting
Appletalk and Ethernet TCP/IP.
Cayman Systems Inc, One Kendall Square, Building 600, Cambridge, MA  02139.
	(Cheryl Alexander, ph +1-617-494-1999)

The Multigate is a geteway/bridge between Ethernet and 4 Appletalk networks.
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd, Scoresby, Vic 3179,
	Australia.  Ph +61-3-764-1100, Fax +61-3-764-1179.

The Australian distributor for PacerLink is
Tri Data Communications, 20 Young St, Neutral Bay 2089, NSW, Australia
	Ph +61-2-953-8577