[aus.wanted] News reader for Mac/IP

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) (10/23/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a NNTP compatible
news reader for a Macintosh.

Thanks
Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

linde@embezzle.stanford.edu (Andrei Linde) (10/23/90)

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a NNTP compatible
>news reader for a Macintosh.

>Thanks
>--
>Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
>University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
>University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

Try Mews.1.4.1.  You will find it on tasman.cc.utas.edu.au ftp site.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.074843.15690@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>,
rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) writes:

> Does anyone know where I can get a NNTP compatible
> news reader for a Macintosh.
>
> Thanks
> --

Yes, you can get a copy of the NNTP stack that Apple has on it's HyperCard
MacTCP disk, obtain it from APDA.

There is another PD Stack called Mews that contains NNTP and a Mail module,
for the life of me I can't think of who has this package.  (I have been trying
to gather all of this information for sometime now, and have a fair amount
but not all of it)

In the commercial arena, there is TCP/Connect II with a NNTP reader.

Any I missed?
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

linde@embezzle.stanford.edu (Andrei Linde) (10/24/90)

>Try Mews.1.4.1.  You will find it on tasman.cc.utas.edu.au ftp site.
>I ftp'd this file twice, and I got a CRC error both times

Well, then try apple.com
You will find a file called something like MacTCPhypercard_tollkit in
/pub/dts/mac/stacks

Download it.  It will contain a News reader.
Myself, I prefer unix nn, because it is much faster.

  Another solution is TCP/Connect II
It has fast good news reader, but it costs tooooo much.