[aus.wanted] NCSA Telnet with SLIP

roy@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Roy McDougall) (03/05/91)

I am having trouble configuring NCSA Telnet 2.3 on a Toshiba T3100e laptop
to work with the SLIP8250 driver.  The documentation seems somewhat confusing.
Do I need to invoke SLIP8250 in my autoexec.bat before firing up Telnet?  If so,
what driver entries need to go into CONFIG.TEL?  If not what is the appropriate
entry in CONFIG.TEL?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Email replies preferred.

Roy McDougall,
Disc. of Computer Science,		IN:	roy@cs.flinders.oz.au
School of Information Science &
  Technology,
Flinders University of S.A.,
Bedford Park  5042			Ph:	+61 8  201 2851
South Australia				Fax:	+61 8  201 2904

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (03/05/91)

In <424@flinders.cs.flinders.oz> roy@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Roy McDougall) writes:
>I am having trouble configuring NCSA Telnet 2.3 on a Toshiba T3100e laptop
>to work with the SLIP8250 driver.  The documentation seems somewhat confusing.
>Do I need to invoke SLIP8250 in my autoexec.bat before firing up Telnet?  If so,
>what driver entries need to go into CONFIG.TEL?  If not what is the appropriate
>entry in CONFIG.TEL?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Email replies preferred.

I am having similar difficulties with NCSA Telnet and SLIP8250.  However, here
is a helpful response I received the other day:

In message <9103012329.AA06373@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu> jfile@ncsa.uiuc.edu
writes:
> >      Do these work together?  I get a bad interrupt vector from telnet
> >(2.3) when I attempt to run it with SLIP8250 loaded and configured for BOOTP
>

> I believe the problem is that the SLIP8250 packet driver does not work
> with NCSA Telnet. I did receive reports to that effect sometime ago;
> I don't know if the PC Telnet developers have (or plan) to resolve
> this or not. I will forward your message to them for clarification.
>
> Jennie File
> Technical Support                   jfile@ncsa.uiuc.edu
> NCSA Software Tools Group

In anyone has any answer to this difficulty, please speak up.  I have not been
able to get the two to run together to date.

As far as the configuration goes, your config.tel file must contain the
following entries:

  myip=BOOTP
  class=6 #for SLIP

along with the usual parameters to tell it what interrupt and address to use.
--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//      Images BBS| ian/