[comp.protocols.misc] X.25 on Unix machines : summary

gunnar@hafro.UUCP (05/27/87)

Here is a summary of all responses we got on X.25 protocols
for Unix machines.

First the original posting then the responses, with some minor
editing done (mainly cutting out headers):

From: osupyr!mstar!kim

Morning Star Technologies can supply X.25 software permitting remote
logins through pads on the X.25 network to a Unix machine.  This consists
of a circuit board which has memory, the network interface, and the processor
to execute the X.25 code; and the X.25 network software which supports
the 1980 CCITT specifications.  Also included is a device driver.
Current ports of this device driver exist for machines made by:
Masscomp, Pyramid, Sequent, Callan, Sun, Alliant, Celerity, Dual, Heurikon
and NCR.  Current board implementations include boards for both the
Multibus and the VMEbus.

Kim L. Toms, Morning Star Technologies

From: Piet Beertema <mcvax!cwi.nl!piet>

From: Gerald Neufeld <mcvax!neufeld%ubc.csnet>

We have developed X.25 for 4.2bsd Unix. The X.25 code uses the protocol
support within the unix kernel ... interfaced via sockets. It also includes
PAD support as a client within user process (there is a call out/in daemon).
The software requires a DMF-32 on a Vax (there is also a DUP-11 driver). It
also runs on a Sun.

From: mcvax!whna%cgcha.UUCP (Heinz Naef)

we know of the following vendors offering X.25 interfaces and protocol suite
implementations for CCITT X.25:
        - Sun Microsystems, Inc: SunLink X.25
                Offers support for X.25, X.29 and X.3 by turning the Sun
                processor into a DTE of a packet switching data network.
                Attachment is via multi-protocol processor called SunLink SCP
                (SunLink Communications Processor) which allows data rates
                up to 64kbits/s over RS-232C and 230kbits/s over RS-449,
                provided that the PSDN allows that. We are going to install
                the product soon.
        - X.Dot Corp., Berkeley, CA: MULTILINK X.25, MULTILINE PAD
                X.25 and PAD protocols, tools and services to implement X.25
                protocols on various processors. Operating system may be
                UNIX V or UNIX 4.2bsd among others. Certified in Europe for
                British PSS, French Transpac, German Datex-P and Swiss Telepac.
                Contact Chet Seligman, (USA) (415) 540-5000.

From: stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir)

In article <455*neufeld@ean.ubc.cdn> neufeld@mcvax.UUCP (Gerald Neufeld) writes:
>We have developed X.25 for 4.2bsd Unix. The X.25 code uses the protocol
<support within the unix kernel ... interfaced via sockets. It also includes
>PAD support as a client within user process (there is a call out/in daemon).
<The software requires a DMF-32 on a Vax (there is also a DUP-11 driver). It
>also runs on a Sun.

This sounds exactly the same as the code from the University of British
Columbia.  In what ways does it differ?

From: jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid)

The University of British Columbia have added a CCITT socket domain to
4.[23] BSD UNIX to support an X.400 messaging system. It uses the sync.
port of a DMF32 and I understand it should also work on a Sun with one
of the RS232 ports configured for synchronous communication.

Sun also sell X.25 for their SUNlink product: it also provides socket
level communication (based on UBC code?) The SUNlink board has some
intelligence and should manage a good bit of the X.25 processing.

>We would be most interested in specific solutions for the HP 9000
>series, but general information on solutions under Unix will also be
>appreciated.

Well, in section 1m of our HP9000 manuals there is a getx25 command.
This configures getty for reverse pad ports. The entry makes reference
to a HP pad, but I don't know if this is a box or just another card
that slots into the backplane. I'd guess this offloads X.25 and triple-X
from UNIX entirely, so probably doesn't count.

[The HP PAD is a standalone PAD, of exactly the type that one
doesn't really want -- Gunnar]
[No name on this one]
When I mentioned that "We have developed X.25 for 4.2bsd Unix", I should
have said "We, at the University of British Columbia, have ....". The code
I mentioned at that of UBC is one and the same. Sorry for the omission.
From : ncrae!heath
	You may be interested in reading about X.25 in UNIX in my
article in the Feb. 1987 issues of Data Communications magazine.
If you're interested in the actual software it describes, it is
available on the NCR TOWER.

Gunnar Stefansson                       {mcvax,enea}!hafro!gunnar
Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik    gunnar@hafro.UUCP