[comp.protocols.misc] Padlipsky, the author of Elements of Networking Style

forrest@blia.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <100@spdcc.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> It's unfortunate that Padlipsky, in naming his collection of essays
> "The Elements of Networking Style", seems to have eschewed all the
> recommendations of its namesake, "The Elements of Style" by Strunk
> and White.  Although there is some very good technical content in
> the book, it is buried beneath a rambling, self-indulgent conversational
> style which is very hard to read and follow.

I was quite struck when I read this because these are the IDENTICAL
feeling I had about Padlipsky himself when I worked with him in the
late 70s. Apparently he is able to convey his personality in his
writings which is ordinarily an important skill for a writer to have.
I should add that he was very nice to me personally and I enjoyed
my contact with him.

Jon Forrest
ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest