[comp.protocols.misc] TCP tutorial

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@buit1.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (06/11/87)

In article <100@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>It's unfortunate that Padlipsky, in naming his collection of essays
>"The Elements of Networking Style", seems to have eschewed all the
>recommendations of its namesake, "The Elements of Style" by Strunk
>and White.  ...
>I wonder, too, how accessible much of the material is to newcomers--many
>of the essays dive immediately into the details of NCP, the protocol suite
>used on the ARPAnet before the introduction of TCP/IP.  When I was reading
>it, I was glad that I had worked at BBN during the NCP/TCP transition where
>I had to support both protocol suites--I had some context to work with.

I really think Dave Crocker or Ungermann-Bass should publish his
tutorial on TCP/IP.  It's brief, but complete, technical, but
accessible.  By the way, it was distributed in the  conference binder
at the recent U-B Net/One user group conference in Cambridge, MA in
May.  I am not sure of the copyright status of this draft, so maybe I
shouldn't be encouraging distribution.  (If U-B knew it was valuable
their marketing people would put a $79.95 price tag on it :-)  But
it's too valuable a contribution to just let it sit there unnoticed
and undistributed.

What do you say, Dave?

	|	Kent W. England                      |
	|	Network & Systems Engineering Group  |
	|	Boston University                    |
	|	Information Technology               |
	|	111 Cummington Street                |
	|	Boston, MA      02215                |
	|	(617) 353-2780                       |
	|	kwe@buit1.bu.edu	internet     |
	|	itkwe@bostonu		BITNET       |