[comp.protocols.misc] MAP/TOP and ISO

lamaster@pioneer.UUCP (06/17/87)

I have a question about MAP and TOP (please pardon my ignorance):

Is there any common level between MAP and TOP and the other ISO protocols
which might correspond to "TCP/IP".  For example, in the arpa/tcp/ip world, IP
is the common level.  Routing, gateways, etc., need to be done once, for IP.
This has been an enormous advantage for the purpose of interoperability.
Since TP4 and IP are the ISO protocols which correspond to TCP and IP, is
there any correspondence between TP4/IP and layers three and four of MAP
and/or TOP?  If there isn't, how will a TOP user communicate with an
NVT/TP4/IP user on another LAN?

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP {seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
  NASA Ames Research Center                ames!pioneer!lamaster
  Moffett Field, CA 94035    ARPA lamaster@ames-pioneer.arpa
  Phone:  (415)694-6117      ARPA lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

("Any opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author and do not represent the opinions of NASA or the U.S. Government")

howard@cos.UUCP (06/19/87)

In article <1801@ames.UUCP>, lamaster@pioneer.arpa (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
> Is there any common level between MAP and TOP and the other ISO protocols
> which might correspond to "TCP/IP".  For example, in the arpa/tcp/ip world, IP
> is the common level.  Routing, gateways, etc., need to be done once, for IP.
> Since TP4 and IP are the ISO protocols which correspond to TCP and IP, is
> there any correspondence between TP4/IP and layers three and four of MAP
> and/or TOP?

MAP/TOP uses ISO TP4 and IP.
For WAN-LAN interconnection, X.25 is gatewayed into the LAN;
IP and TP run on top of the X.25 virtual circuit.

>If there isn't, how will a TOP user communicate with an
> NVT/TP4/IP user on another LAN?

No problem.
No problem.