[comp.protocols.misc] Appletalk - VAX Ethernet link

nvarma@ncoast.UUCP (06/20/87)

I work at Muskingum College in Ohio, and we had recently decided to network
our VAX 11/780 (running VMS) with an appletalk Macintosh LAN.
The communications method chosen was Ethernet. The hardware we are running is:

Macintosh: Kinetics Fastpath appletalk to ethernet interface
VAX:       DELUA Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 to UNIBUS communication controller

Our problem (and the reason for this message!) is software for the VAX.
We wish to use the VAX as a file server for the Macs and, maybe, also use the
Macs as intelligent terminals to the VAX. The software for the Macs are the
packages provided by Kinetics Inc. - MacIP (TFTP & TELNET) and K-Talk/Prompt
(Which I believe is a version of SEAGate).

I gather that numerous organizations are using the same hardware
configuration for the same purposes. Would anyone who knows where we can
get the required software for the VAX please mail a direct message to me.
I would also be very grateful if anyone who is running a similar installation
could give us some tips about the system and its ups and downs...

P.S.
      We also have an AT&T 3B2/300 (running UNIX) computer with a
3BNET card installed which we would like to include in this network. I have
a couple of queries regarding this matter:

1) Is the 3B2NET card compatible with the IEEE 802.3 standard ?
2) If they are compatible, do you know who can provide software for the
   3B2/300 to complete the link between our VAX 11/780 and this machine?

Thanks in advance,

                                                Narendra Varma.

jat@blnt1.UUCP (John A Tamplin) (06/23/87)

In article <2675@ncoast.UUCP> nvarma@ncoast.UUCP (Narendra Varma) writes:
>      We also have an AT&T 3B2/300 (running UNIX) computer with a
>3BNET card installed which we would like to include in this network. I have
>a couple of queries regarding this matter:
>
>1) Is the 3B2NET card compatible with the IEEE 802.3 standard ?
>2) If they are compatible, do you know who can provide software for the
>   3B2/300 to complete the link between our VAX 11/780 and this machine?

I'm not sure about 802.3, but I have seen a 3b2 with the TCP/IP software
running on the 3BNET card talking with a Vax and a bunch of Suns on a single
Ethernet cable.

I don't know about the VMS end, but Wollongong (sp?) supplies TCP/IP for the
3B2s running on the 3BNET card.  The current version doesn't support streams,
but REAL SOON NOW they will have the streams version.
--
John Tamplin					Blount Brothers Corporation
gatech!blnt1!jat				2511 Fairlane Drive