[comp.protocols.misc] 9600 baud problems

daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) (07/09/87)

In article <8707071528.AA02320@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
	jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) writes:
>Agreed. Better to use a real communications protocol based on
>packets, like say X.25.  Or even Kermit.  Not likely to appear in a
>terminal near you soon, but at least PCs generally can all do this sort
>of thing now.  /jr

  They may not be appearing in terminals, but X.PC and MNP are certainly
appearing in *modems*: I have two friends who make their living writing
packet protocols that run in about 2.5 sq in of board space inside several
modems.
  And TYMNET has a X.PC to X.25 gateway facility (down thar in the excited
states (:-)), so one can Emac away happily 1200 miles from one's host with
minimal flow-control and delay problems. [cf my earlier rant about negotiated
echo on x.25]

--
 David (Collier-) Brown.              |  Computer Science
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  loses its memory