[comp.protocols.misc] connecting microvax to sun

sbs@psueclb.BITNET (07/06/87)

              I am graduate student in EE at Penn State Univ. In one of
the lab here I have to connect microvax and Sun workstation for file
transfer. Microvax has VMS and Sun has UNIX . Sun has serial port and
ethernet connector . I dont know whether I should build network using
ethernet or just connect by serial port. Later on department wants to
use Sun or microVAX as a robot controller . If any one out there has
done this kind of work  please guide me by sending details to
SBS@PSUECLB.EDU or SI6@psuvm.edu.
                            Thanks in advance.
                                               S. Salvi

MYoung.PA@XEROX.COM (07/09/87)

Ethernet seems to be a better networking option. If you use serial port,
you'll have to deal with multiplexing the serial port later on for
expansion. Since your Sun has an ethernet connector, you should explore
a microvax ethernet board. Call DEC (800)343-4040 for technical
assistance.  Michael

pml@casetek.casetek.UUCP (Pat Lashley) (07/11/87)

In article <742@PSUECLB>, sbs@psueclb.BITNET writes:

> ... I have to connect microvax and Sun workstation for file transfer ...

We have a network containing a VAX 11/750, an 11/780, a VSII-GPX,
several other VAXstations, and a Sun 3/160, 3/50, and 3/110.
(And one PC with PC/NFS)

The VAXen are all using VMS.  The Suns are all using un*x.  We have
used three different techniques to transfer data.

1) A serial link and Kermit.
	At 9600 baud, this will consume about 25% of the 780 CPU time.

2) SunLink DNA
	This is a Sun product which provides some communication with
	DECnet over the ethernet.   The current version allows file
	transfer both directions controlled from the Sun, and remote
	login from ether type of machine to the other.  The next
	release (now in Beta test) is purported to support file transfer
	initiated from the VMS machines.  There is ample provision
	(including sample programs) for writing programs to run on the
	Sun using DECnet protocols.

3) TCP/IP on the VAXen
	We are currently in the process of evaluating several TCP/IP
	implementations for VAX/VMS.  These normally provide remote
	login (telnet, sometimes rlogin), file transfer (ftp), and
	electronic mail (VMSmail <--> SMTP) capabilities.

My belief is that the best solution is to have both 2 and 3.  Each
provides its own set of (dis)advantages.

I hope that this has been of some help,

PM Lashley			CASE Technology, Inc.
Internet:	casetek!patl@sun.com
uucp:		...sun!casetek!patl