[comp.protocols.misc] SFTP

rmonsen@cc4.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Robert C. Monsen) (09/23/87)

Folks:
    I am interested in finding out about whether anyone has implemented
SFTP (Simple FTP, RFC 913), and if so whether it worked out, what problems
exist with the protocol as specified, etc.

If you have any information, I would really like to hear about it.

Thanks

--

				    Bob Monsen
				    rmonsen@park-street.bbn.com

chm@nbires.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <1@cc4.bbn.com.BBN.COM> rmonsen@cc4.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Robert C. Monsen) writes:
>Folks:
>    I am interested in finding out about whether anyone has implemented
>SFTP (Simple FTP, RFC 913), and if so whether it worked out, what problems
>exist with the protocol as specified, etc.
>
>If you have any information, I would really like to hear about it.
>
>Thanks
>
>--
>
>				    Bob Monsen
>				    rmonsen@park-street.bbn.com
>				    BBNCC

  A few years ago I implemented a version of SFTP on a 4.2 system.  It was,
as the name implies, very straight forward to implement.  One problem with
this protocol is that it requires the sender of a file to know the exact
length of the file before sending.  This means that some "in-line" conversions
on the data are not going to work.  For example, sending a file in ASCII
mode requires that the local end of line is converted to the CR-LF pair.
To send a file in this mode required two passes through the file, one to
determine the size and one to actually send it.

-----
Paul Chmielewski
NBI Inc., Boulder, CO		chm@nbires.UUCP or chm@nbires.NBI.COM
(303) 444-5710