[comp.protocols.misc] Greg Chesson's Protocol Engine technology sold by SGI

fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Erik E. Fair) (10/13/87)

Greg Chesson (designer of the UUCP "g" protocol and Version 7 UNIX's
multiplexed files; now working for Silicon Graphics in Mountain
View, CA) gave a paper at the Phoenix Summer USENIX Conference last
June about a chip-set that he called a "protocol engine." The
premise is that as networking hardware gets faster, you want to
reduce your protocol implementations to silicon, to be able to use
the bandwidth more effectively. His specific goal was to be able
to keep up with a 100Mbit/sec FDDI network.

Given that background, here is an item that appeared in this morning's
San Francisco Chronicle, page C2:

		S I L I C O N   G R A P H I C S
		S E L L S   T E C H   P R O J E C T

	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems Inc. of Mountain View
	said it has sold right to a year-old technology development
	project to Santa Barbara-based Protocol Engines Inc. The
	price was not disclosed. The so-called protocol engine
	technology includes a set of semiconductor chips that the
	company expects to help bring about much faster data
	communications networks.

I'd appreciate it if someone at SGI (preferably Mr. Chesson himself)
would comment on both the state of the project, and the reasons for
the sale of the technology. Since I've never heard of Protocol Engines
Inc. before, I surmise that this is actually a joint venture between
SGI and some unknown number of other companies.

Followups have been directed to comp.protocols.misc.

	submitted For Your Information,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

farber@udel.EDU (Dave Farber) (10/14/87)

In article <21255@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Erik E. Fair) writes:

>		S I L I C O N   G R A P H I C S
>		S E L L S   T E C H   P R O J E C T
>
>	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems Inc. of Mountain View
>	said it has sold right to a year-old technology development
>	project to Santa Barbara-based Protocol Engines Inc. The
>	price was not disclosed. The so-called protocol engine
>	technology includes a set of semiconductor chips that the
>	company expects to help bring about much faster data
>	communications networks.
>
>I'd appreciate it if someone at SGI (preferably Mr. Chesson himself)
>would comment on both the state of the project, and the reasons for
>the sale of the technology. Since I've never heard of Protocol Engines
>Inc. before, I surmise that this is actually a joint venture between
>SGI and some unknown number of other companies.
>
>Followups have been directed to comp.protocols.misc.
>
>	submitted For Your Information,
>
>	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

The more interesting question is what happened to the open nature
of the engine. Many times he said that the results were to be non
propriertary. I wonder how many people are slightly unhappy with
that change of pace. Sounds like SGI could not resist the temptation
to sell it.

David J. Farber

University of Delaware

Professor of Electrical Engineering and of Computer Science
University of Delaware
Department of Electrical Engineering
Newark, De 19716

Office: 302-451-1163;
Arpanet/CSNet: farber@udel.edu
Dialcom(nsf): D.Farber
Compuserve: 76010,104
Fax: 1-818-440-1742
Voice Mail:  1-302-740-1198
Mobile Telephone: 1-302-530-0898

RD 1 Box 279
Landenberg, Pa 19350

Home Phone: 215-274-8292

root@sbcs (Root) (10/15/87)

In article <21255@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu (Erik E. Fair) writes:
> Greg Chesson (designer of the UUCP "g" protocol and Version 7 UNIX's
> multiplexed files; now working for Silicon Graphics in Mountain
> View, CA) gave a paper at the Phoenix Summer USENIX Conference last

	I remember seeing an article in one of the Unix rags in which
	Chesson stated that the protocol engine work was to be
	"public domain".  Did the PD component go down the tubes
	once SGI noticed that it had a potential winner on their
	hands?

> I'd appreciate it if someone at SGI (preferably Mr. Chesson himself)
> would comment on both the state of the project, and the reasons for
>
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

	While we're on the subject, anyone know what has happened to
	Cheritons VMTP project?

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook

greg@mojo.SGI.COM (Greg Chesson) (10/24/87)

to: Erik Fair, Dave Farber, and others:

The newspaper article quoted in this news group created some undeserved
speculation and masked the enthusiastic and public spirited support
that SGI has for the project and the concept.  SGI has given over
protocol engine technology to Protocol Engines Inc for nominal
reimbursement of costs.  It was not a significant financial
transaction.  SGI engineers and people at other companies continue to
work on the project.

Protocol engine details - protocol, state machines, software emulation
- will be placed in the public domain as has been stated before.  PEI
is modeled after other multi-company consortia such as the group that
standardized the SCSI bus.  It is a corporate shell intended to achieve
the following:
	1) provide a neutral repository for P-engine technology

	2) fund chip fabrication

	3) focus on standards activities

	4) provide multiple sources for chips

	5) push the technology beyond 100 Mbit/sec

Item (1) helps preserve the open  nature of the design and to ensure
that there exists an organization dedicated to P-engine technology.
Item (2) should be obvious, since prototype production is more than I
can accomplish as an internal skunkworks.  Item (4) means that PEI is
working with semiconductor houses to make P-engines become standard
products.  The other items should be self-explanatory.

	Greg Chesson Silicon Graphics 2011 Stierlin Road Mountain View,
	Ca, 94043 (415)962-3496 {sun,pyramid,adobe,allegra,decwrl}!sgi!greg