[comp.protocols.misc] looking for X.25 info/sources

yost@bty.UUCP (Brian Yost) (11/06/87)

I am looking for documentation and source code for the X.25 protocol,
either public domain or commercial.  Please send any suggestions to:

Brian T. Yost             attmail!bty!yost
{bellcore,harpo,princeton}!motown!bty!yost

Thanks in advance!

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (11/07/87)

To: yost@bty.UUCP
Subject: Re: looking for X.25 info/sources
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.misc
Bcc:

The authoritative doc. on x.25 is the CCITT Recommendation on X.25 itself.
In the USA you can order one of those from Omnicom in Vienna, VA.

A good computer book on X.25 is "X.25 Explained" by Deasington.
I remember seeing it listed in some of those computer book clubs.
There are not too many general publications on the subject.

If you're ready to develop x.25 software for commercial use,
you can order documentation from the network provider such as Tymnet
or Telenet. For instance, Telenet has a large (>300 pp) document
listing protocols, options, tests, etc.

As for public domain x.25 software, I haven't seen any.

	Best of luck,
	Robert Heath
	heath@ncrcae.UUCP

tom@tsdiag.UUCP (11/09/87)

The book X.25 Explained has good points, but is dated in some areas,
it talks about standards proposals that are expected to be accepted in 1984[sic]
and doesn't seem that datagramme's were dropped in 1980 (says they are
investigating connectionless service...)

as long as you are just after what x.25 is and not what is really going on
in the standards world it's an ok book...

There will be X.25 Level 3 in the public domain (for non-commerical use) in the
near future...

With a non-standard (but close) level 2, i will be doing the standard level 2
in 1988 (with luck, ie few bugs in the current project in early/mid '88)

73
c'ya
--
Thomas A. Moulton, W2VY          Life is too short to be mad about things.
Home: (201) 779-W2VY             Packet: w2vy@kd6th  Voice: 145.190 (r)

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (11/11/87)

In article <126@tsdiag.UUCP> tom@tsdiag.UUCP (Tom Moulton) writes:

>There will be X.25 Level 3 in the public domain (for non-commerical use) in the
>near future...
>
>With a non-standard (but close) level 2, i will be doing the standard level 2
>in 1988 (with luck, ie few bugs in the current project in early/mid '88)

Thomas,
	This public domain X.25 idea is very tantalizing.
How and when will it become available ?  What will be its top-end and
bottom-end interfaces ? Any plans for a user level ?

	Robert Heath
	heath@ncrcae.UUCP

tom@tsdiag.UUCP (11/20/87)

Robert,
      Sorry for the delay in my reply, been busy...

The X.25 Switch I am working on the first of a series of network building
blocks that a group of us are working on.  We, (time for the ad :-) The
Radio Amateur Telecommunications Society, are working to build a modern
network for Amateur Packet Radio.  We will be working on the following projects:

1) X.25 Switch (W2VY)
2) X.28 PAD
3) X.25 interface for the BBS' we use

We have received the ISODE.3  package and will investigating it shortly to
see what we might be able to use from it.

We will be filling out the upper layers, and since I've been focusing on
level 3, I haven't been too involved with the efforts.  I have been interested
in the layer interfacing and we will have documentation describing it.

The one draw back at this point is that it is based on the modified version
of X.25 Level 2, it has longer addresses and slightly different procedures
to allow better performance on a multi-drop line.  We use it over radio
channels where we can not hear all other stations, because of this we are
seriously considering a Level 1 access protocol to reduce contention.

The Source and executable will be sent out in Jan '88 and posted *everywhere*

If you would like more information as it comes out please send a note to us at:

Radio Amateur Telecommunications Society (RATS)
Tom Moulton, W2VY
206 North Vivyen Street
Bergenfield, NJ 07621

I am presently running the code in a test environment exercising the L2/L3
interactions, I hope to have an Alpha test ROM in two weeks.

When I have the test environment working to my satisfaction I will be sending
to anyone who wants to check it out, as long as they report any protocol
violations/bugs they find!!

There is a Level 3 only test environment on compuserve already, more will
follow.

Thanks for the interest.

and to think it's my first sizable C program...
only 28K in a Z80!?
--
Thomas A. Moulton, W2VY          Life is too short to be mad about things.
Home: (201) 779-W2VY             Packet: w2vy@kd6th  Voice: 145.190 (r)
Work: (201) 492-4880 x3226       FAX:  (201) 493-9167
Concurrent Computer Corp.        uucp: ...!ihnp4!hotps!ka2qhd!w2vy

usenet@delrio.UUCP (11/21/87)

There is an X.25 implementation available from the University of British Columbia
computer science department.  It should be available for a small distribution fee;
try contacting demco@ean.ubc.cdn for more information.
  --Chris