[comp.protocols.misc] What is the procedure to simulate the limits of protocols?

schen@caip.rutgers.edu (Shin Chen) (12/17/87)

	I am new to network environment. I would like know how one
goes about finding the theoretical and real limits (maximum, minimum,
and average) of various protocols. This includes equipment,
methodology and/or ideas.
	Thanks.
--
- Shin Chen
- TELEPHONE: SRAC -- (201) 932-5027

jth@cuuxb.ATT.COM (6414~) (01/08/88)

In article <4431@caip.rutgers.edu> schen@caip.rutgers.edu (Shin Chen) writes:

>I would like know how one goes about finding the theoretical and real
>limits (maximum, minimum,and average) of various protocols. This includes
>equipment, methodology and/or ideas.
>- Shin Chen
Misha Shwarz of Columbia University has written a good text on the
subject. It's more on the analysis side but it's part of the answer to
your question. Protocol venders should be able to provide benchmark
data (caveat emptor) on their products.
					Joe Heneghan

rfox@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Richard Fox) (01/12/88)

In article <1477@cuuxb.ATT.COM> jth@cuuxb.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) writes:
>In article <4431@caip.rutgers.edu> schen@caip.rutgers.edu (Shin Chen) writes:
>>
>>I would like know how one goes about finding the theoretical and real
>>limits (maximum, minimum,and average) of various protocols. This includes
>>equipment, methodology and/or ideas.
>>- Shin Chen
>Misha Shwarz of Columbia University has written a good text on the
>subject. It's more on the analysis side but it's part of the answer to
>your question. Protocol venders should be able to provide benchmark
>data (caveat emptor) on their products.
>					Joe Heneghan

Do you know where we can get a  copy of this document? I would be interested
in reading this document, because one of things that I am doing is trying
to find the real limts on certain protocols and hardware and I have found
that it is not easily modeled by any sain computation.

thanks rich
.