[comp.protocols.misc] Bus Packet Protocol?

budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) (02/25/88)

Can anyone give me pointers to a bus protocol called "Bus Packet
Protocol" (BPP)?  It may be VME bus oriented or derived.

What devices and/or systems use BPP?

Please reply by mail, will summarize to comp.protocols.misc

	Phil Budne
	Boston University Distributed Systems Group

	budd@bu-it.bu.edu
	{harvard!mit-eddie}!bu-cs!budd

budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) (03/07/88)

Thanks for all the great replies!! Turns out what I was looking for
was Motorola VME Bus "Buffered Pipe Protocol".

================
>From: Philip E Staub <phils@tekigm2.men.tek.com>:

Don't know about "Bus Packet Protocol", but Motorola has one which they call
"Buffered Pipe Protocol" (BPP). It is part of what they call their "Common
Envoronment" for multiprocessor systems on VMEbus. It is the protocol they
are using to communicate with their MAP controller boards (probably others
as well) in VME/SYS V unix systems. Contact your local Moto rep and ask for
manual numbers MVMECEUM and MVMECEDRV. The latest I have are both draft 1
(D1) revisions.

================
>From: harvard!gatech!cadeta!dtscp1!motatl!mad@bu-cs.bu.edu

 You may mean the Buffered Pipe Protocol.  BPP is a method that Motorola
 uses to allow easy interfacing to intelligent I/O cards that reside on
 the VMEbus.  Essentially, it allows a common device interface to a
 variety of VMEbus boards.  A simple description of the protocol is as
 follows:

	1)  A channel (logical link to the I/O board) is set up.  To set
	up this channel you issue what is called an initialization
	command.  It will set up the necessary memory allocation and
	device type (disk, tape, SIO, etc), also it will set up
	interrupt levels if you are using interrupts.
	2)  You then set up a queue.  This will allocate "packets" to
	send back and forth between the device.  It will enqueue those
	packets if the device is executing the last packet sent.
	3)  You then send packets to the I/O device.  After sending the
	packet you can then sleep until interrupted by the I/O device or
	you can TAS (Test And Set) a register until it is cleared by the
	I/O device.

That is a brief description of the BPP.  One thing to remember, BPP must
have hardware/firmware on the I/O card to support this communication.

Now about VME cards that implement BPP.  We have quite a few cards that
implement BPP.  Those are as follows:

		MVME331	6 port sync/async SIO board
		MVME332 8 port async SIO board
		MVME332XT 8 port, 1 parallel async FAST SIO board
		MVME333 6 port sync/async SIO w/DMA board
		MVME350 QIC-02 Tape Controller
		MVME322 ESDI Disk controller
		MVME327A SCSI Disk interface

I am not sure if there are non-Motorola cards that implement BPP but I
will try to find out.

Mark Davidson                         "Hep me...Hep me...I've been HYPnotized!"
Motorola MicroComputer Division          - David Letterman on seeing Terri Garr
Norcross, GA                               in the shower.
================
>From: ll-xn!ames!hplabs!motsj1!ellymae!nud!sbo!larry@bu-cs.bu.edu

	I don't know a lot of the details, but I know that we use this protocol
as part of an XNS based LAN offering here called Officelan. I believe that
several other of our boards also make use of this (on the Motorola Computer
System's 8000 line, and Motorola Delta Series).

							Larry Mullen
							Motorola CSD
							Tempe, AZ

>From: harvard!ut-sally!uunet!unido!mucmot!stefan@bu-cs.bu.edu

 Suppose you refer to the "Buffered Pipe Protocol".
 It is described in the "Common Environment" manuals from Motorola.
 Ask marketing or a Motorola sales office about it.
 Hope that helps
 Stefan

 	Stefan Loesch
 	Motorola Computer Systems Europe Munich