[comp.protocols.misc] UUCP over X25 on Sun 3

egisin@watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (04/23/88)

In article <20060@pyramid.pyramid.com>, csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> [...]
> The 7-bit-printable-ASCII restriction comes from international X.25 gateways,
> many of which insist on swiping the eigth bit for parity or somesuch. A few
> also do funny mappings of control characters, like munging tabs. If I set up a
> raw X.25 virtual circuit between here and West Germany, it will be 7 bits and
> there is nothing I can do about it.

It's difficult to believe CCITT is so stupid to allow this in X.25 VCs.
Maybe I'll have one last look at the red book to verify it.
What happens if one wants to run IP, DECNET, or OSI across such a gateway?
I guess you don't.

jh@tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen) (04/26/88)

I haven't seen the original article but only a reply that wonders
about 7 bit characters in X.25.  Seven bits/char is not a problem if
you running uucp f-proto which was specially designed for X.25,

But what is the conclusion about the subject line: has anybody been
able to run UUCP over SUnLink X.25?  We tried it about a year ago with
no luck.  The setup was such that we created a ptty with getty on it
and then specified that ptty in L-devices.

When uucp was started, it first logged on in the same machine using
this line and then issued a pad command to the other uucp host (or
actually pad command was the login shell).  We were able to start
uucico in the other end but the transfer always failed because of bad
checksum.

We never got further in analysing the problem except that it looked
like the other end was receiving at least parts of the file twice.
This may have been caused by improper setting of some of the X.28/29
parameters or stty stuff.  We are still waiting for SunLink X.25
version 5 which should include a profiling cabability and will then
again start playing with it.

So, has someone else had better luck?  I know that people are running
uucp over the EAN X.25 code.
--
	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)