[comp.protocols.misc] FAX's : here is the POOP!

kinmonthprep@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (11/23/88)

In article <4555@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) writes:
>OK.  So many of the people who responded to my call for FAX info sent in
>requests for the same that I felt I should post the collected facts I
>received.  Most of these are from a single person...

>Not sure on US, about $800 or $900. (Our software is extra.)

As the saying goes, a bargain at half the price!

With stand alone fax machines available for as little as $750 (US) and
prices declining monthly, this strikes me as absurd. For $900 plus, I
could get a MSDOS fax card, a cheapo XT clone, and tie this into my
Xenix box for about the same price, plus gaining a [limited] backup
machine. Is this price based on "cost" or the assumption that Xenix
software/hardware goes to "business" users who can/will pay more than
"amateur" MSDOS users?

Earl H. Kinmonth, History Department, University of California,
Davis, California, 95616

916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer: This is AmeriKa!  Who needs a disclaimer!

Internet:   ucdked!cck@ucdavis.edu

UUCP:       {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ucdked!cck