[comp.protocols.misc] UNIX

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/10/88)

	Our department wants to buy a FAX in the $1000-$3000, any
recommendations ? A feature that I thought would be very useful is the ability
to submit a transmission via computer instead of just scanning pieces of
paper in. Apparently some PC-based FAX setups will do this and other
standalone FAX's like the Canon's have some facility for this feature but
the options aren't clear (which was surprising to me). It seems that in most
presently available machines, one would have to do the ASCII text to FAX
encoding and compression. Is this true ? Does someone have the necessary
programs ?
	Basically, you should be able to type in a FAX memo or doc on your UNIX
terminal (or SUN workstation) and send it off like Internet/USENET mail.
	Please email me responses/suggestions. Thanks.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

avr@mtgzz.att.com (a.v.reed) (12/12/88)

In article <318@rna.UUCP>, dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
> Basically, you should be able to type in a FAX memo or doc on your UNIX
> terminal (or SUN workstation) and send it off like Internet/USENET mail.

This service is available from AT&T Mail (just like sending to any other
kind of mail endpoint: PC packages, TELEX, paper via US mail or
messenger, voice (telephone) delivery etc. etc.). You register your
UNIX(R) gateway machine with AT&T Mail (1-800-MAIL672) and enter the
AT&T Mail gateway in your uucp tables as "attmail". This is a commercial
service, and the 1-800-MAIL672 number will also tell you their current
prices. Once your gateway is known to attmail, you will be able to send
UNIX mail to attmail for any kind of delivery. For example, I use the
following script/function to send a letter formatted with -mm via FAX:

		NUMBER=$1;ATTENTION=$2;shift;shift
		(echo "To: attmail!fax!$NUMBER(/$ATTENTION)";\
			nroff -mm -rL60 -rW65 $@ | col -bx)|\
			/bin/mail attmail!dispatcher

where $1 is the destination FAX number (in international format, such
as 1-201-957-5159, since AT&T Mail will deliver anywhere in the world)
and $2 is a string describing, to the destination's FAX operator, the
recipient of your letter - for example, "Adam_V._Reed,_Room_3F-441".

			Adam Reed (avr@mtgzz.ATT.COM)