[comp.protocols.misc] RedRyder Question

artp@motbos.UUCP (Art Parmet) (12/07/88)

I am using RedRyder 10.3 with the xmodem protocol to transfer files to/from a
Unix host.  Downloading 1k blocks to RedRyder works fine. Uploading to the Unix
host always results in 128 byte block size.  Turning on the verbose (debug)
mode of the receiver program shows that RedRyder sends SOH (indicating 128 byte
block size) instead of STX (indicating 1024 byte block size).

Has anyone else experienced this ?  If so, is there a later version which fixes
this ?

Regards,
Art
--------------------------------

<< Unusual Disclaimer >>

Art Parmet - Northeast Area Eng Mgr @ Motorola Semiconductor, Woburn, Ma.
UUCP: {hplabs!motsj1,decwrl!decvax,gatech!mcdchg,apollo,oakhill}..!motbos!artp

Voice: +1 617-932-9700  DID: +1 617-932-6049  Fax: +1 617-932-9100  POST: RSXH20

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (12/08/88)

In article <423@motbos.UUCP>, artp@motbos.UUCP (Art Parmet) writes:
>.  Downloading 1k blocks to RedRyder works fine. Uploading to the Unix
>host always results in 128 byte block size.  Turning on the verbose (debug)

  Yes!  I haven't been able to figure this one out.  Anyone know the
answer?  Should I just be calling GENIE and getting updates, or what???

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (12/09/88)

Red Ryder 10.3 when uploading is looking for a CK, which is the way that
Scott interpreted the specifications for ymodem and 1k blocks. The
Latest version of Red Ryder is still 10.3. But Red Ryder 11 will probably
begin beta testing in a few weeks for a release early next year sometime
with a variety of new things I would suspect knowing Scott....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/10/88)

In article <211@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) writes:
     | The Latest version of Red Ryder is
     | still 10.3. But Red Ryder 11 will probably begin beta
     | testing in a few weeks for a release early next year
     | sometime with a variety of new things I would suspect
     | knowing Scott....

Hmm, pardon me for saying this, but I was one of the many who was suckered
into the 10.0 upgrade, with the promise of icon oriented interfaces etc..
I believe the upgrade promise said something like "the whole ball of Mac
wax..".  Basically the upgrade was little more than a maintainance fix,
with a few minor enhancements, and crippling throughput problems.

With my past experiences with RR, I am left highly doubtful that a RR11
will be much enhanced over rev 10.3.  I would love to see RR do what it
was originally invisaged as doing.. but if it does, I think it will be too
little, too late.

I think this is a real pity, as Red was once one of the best comms
programs available for the Mac, but has staggered terribly, while Mac
communications entered another realm.

Scott Watson, with RR10, promised what SuperMac/Lamir delivered in
Acknowledge.

Quick Plug for Acknowledge:
Acknowledge is truly a giant step in Mac telecommunications.  I've
developed my own interface to our Xenix e-mail system with it, including
batch mail, reading mail with a double click on a subject line, custom
dialogs, notification manager alerting to new mail arrival, the works.

Yes, Acknowledge is a whole lot more expensive than ol'Red, but for the
functionality that I've developed with it, it's worth the price.

     | -- Norm Goodger

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012                          {AppleLink}  -        caffeine haze :-)

srpenndo@uokmax.UUCP (Sean Richard Penndorf) (12/13/88)

In article <40@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
=>In article <211@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) writes:
=>     | The Latest version of Red Ryder is
=>     | still 10.3. But Red Ryder 11 will probably begin beta
=>     | testing in a few weeks for a release early next year
=>     | sometime with a variety of new things I would suspect
=>     | knowing Scott....
=>
=>Hmm, pardon me for saying this, but I was one of the many who was suckered
=>into the 10.0 upgrade, with the promise of icon oriented interfaces etc..
=>I believe the upgrade promise said something like "the whole ball of Mac
=>wax..".  Basically the upgrade was little more than a maintainance fix,
=>with a few minor enhancements, and crippling throughput problems.
=>
=>Yes, Acknowledge is a whole lot more expensive than ol'Red, but for the
=>functionality that I've developed with it, it's worth the price.
=>

As soon as the average Mac user can afford Acknoledge, it will be great
advance in Mac communications.  And I don't mean at the same price as
(well, just for kicks and no flame intended) MS Word.
...stepping down from soap box...

I have to agree about Red Ryder though.  It lost a lot of the "Mac interface"
when it went to 10.3.  The whole menu and dialog boxes scheme needs to be
re-vamped and re-thought out again.  It gets very cumbersome to use at
times.  (On the other hand, it is still better than any other package out
for the Mac in it's price range).  In addition, I find that RR bogs down
at 2400 baud.  I didn't notice this at first until someone showed me
2400 baud on VersaTerm Pro.  I am a Red Ryder Host sysop myself, so I
see both ends of Scott's creations.  He has really good ideas, but he needs
to work a bit on implementation.  Somewhere between his programming and the
end user, the interface gets lost.  I am constantly having to answer questions
about Red Ryder in my feedback on my BBS.

No offense Norm, you and Scott are doing a great job, and I am sure that
you hear enough of this in the FreeSoft RT BB on GEnie, but since it has
floated over to the Net, perhaps FreeSoft will start to see that they are
lacking in some points where if they fixed them they could really command
the market in communications.  Despite my occasional gripes, Scott does
have some good software.

Sysop of:  Welcome to Macintosh BBS
           (405) 329-3352   300/1200/2400
           Home of Ultimatum Software and Permutation Software

--
Sean 'Longstride' Penndorf
!texsun!uokmax!srpenndo                    .  .        .-----------