[comp.protocols.misc] Interfacing a PC to LORAN equipment

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (04/11/89)

This is a posting for someone else, so the terminology may not
be exactly right...

Boats use a communications protocol called NIMEA 0182/3 (?) to interface
navigational instruments with each other and with control devices (i.e.
Lorans to auto-pilots).  Does anyone know or have information on how
to use a laptop PC to obtain the information from these devices in a usable
form?  Is there a company that makes hardware/software gizmos to translate
the NIMEA protocol to say an RS-232 type ?

Thanks
Atul Kacker
akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

[Please e-mail, since I doubt this will be of general interest]

weber@cg-atla.UUCP (Jeff Weber) (04/12/89)

In article <1470@ur-cc.UUCP> akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:

>Boats use a communications protocol called NIMEA 0182/3 (?) to interface
>navigational instruments with each other and with control devices (i.e.
>Lorans to auto-pilots).  Does anyone know or have information on how
>to use a laptop PC to obtain the information from these devices in a usable
>form?  Is there a company that makes hardware/software gizmos to translate
>the NIMEA protocol to say an RS-232 type ?

	<we'll see about the general interest...good point.>

	As far as I know the signal is indeed RS-232 and the data is
	ASCII.  I found this in the connection manual for the autopilot
	interface I was doing about 3 years ago.  I always wanted to put
	a data-scope on it.  The data rate is quite reasonable, something
	less than 9600 baud so your watch could keep up if it had to.

	Call NIMEA

greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Greg Ramsey) (04/12/89)

In article <1470@ur-cc.UUCP>, akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:
> Boats use a communications protocol called NIMEA 0182/3 (?) to interface
> navigational instruments with each other and with control devices (i.e.
> Lorans to auto-pilots).  Does anyone know or have information on how
> to use a laptop PC to obtain the information from these devices in a usable
> form?  Is there a company that makes hardware/software gizmos to translate
> the NIMEA protocol to say an RS-232 type ?
>
> [Please e-mail, since I doubt this will be of general interest]

If you deem your reply to not be of general interest, please
email your response to me also.

Greg

ncelvaz!greg@nosc.mil

--
                    ___                  Greg Ramsey
          _n_n_n____i_i ________         Naval Civil Engineering Lab

larry@pluto.nm.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) (04/13/89)

In article <273@ncelvax.UUCP> greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Greg Ramsey) writes:
>In article <1470@ur-cc.UUCP>, akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:
>> [Please e-mail, since I doubt this will be of general interest]

>If you deem your reply to not be of general interest, please
>email your response to me also.

Why not of general interest?  I'd like to know, too.  I'm not a general,
but a friend of my father's was.  8^)

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
AT&T Paradyne, LG-129           Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

jeff@garth.UUCP (Jeff Kaskey) (04/19/89)

In article <273@ncelvax.UUCP> greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Greg Ramsey) writes:
>In article <1470@ur-cc.UUCP>, akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:
>>  Is there a company that makes hardware/software gizmos to translate
>> the NIMEA protocol to say an RS-232 type ?
>>
>> [Please e-mail, since I doubt this will be of general interest]
>
>If you deem your reply to not be of general interest, please
>email your response to me also.

Wait! This IS a computer net 'fter all.  Let fly, or at least summarize
to da net.

-jeff "may my next login be from offshore" kaskey