[comp.protocols.misc] IEEE 802.2 Standard

cooper@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Thaddeus Cooper ) (04/27/89)

I don't really know where to post, this, so I put it here.  Someone
where I work is working on programming at the Logical link control
layer level.  Don't ask why we would want to do that, we just do,
and is looking for information about how to do that.  He has access
to the IEEE documents, but is looking for examples, papers, or texts
that might be useful.  Any help would be appreciated.  Please e-mail
direct to me at:

			cooper@devl20.ti.com

Thanks very much.

			-- Thaddeus O. Cooper
			(cooper@devl20.ti.com)
--
			-- thad
			(cooper@umbc3.umd.edu)

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (05/02/89)

In article <1955@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, cooper@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Thaddeus Cooper ) writes:
> Someone where I work is working on programming at the Logical link control
> layer level... and is looking for information about how to do that.

Type 1 LLC is trivial.  Type 2 is very similar to LAPB, as used by X.25,
so any good X.25 implementation should serve as a suitable starting point.

Cheers  -- Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

larry@pluto.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) (05/02/89)

In article <1702@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>Type 1 LLC is trivial.  Type 2 is very similar to LAPB, as used by X.25,
>so any good X.25 implementation should serve as a suitable starting point.

This is very surprising, since LAPB is a connection-oriented, flow-controlling
protocol and Ethernet is a connectionless, free-flowing medium.  Can you
explain the differences and similarities between Type 2 & LAPB?

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
AT&T Paradyne, LG-129           Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (05/04/89)

In article <6048@pdn.paradyne.com>, larry@pluto.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) writes:
> In article <1702@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
> >Type 1 LLC is trivial.  Type 2 is very similar to LAPB, as used by X.25,
> >so any good X.25 implementation should serve as a suitable starting point.
>
> This is very surprising, since LAPB is a connection-oriented,
> flow-controlling protocol and Ethernet is a connectionless,
> free-flowing medium.  Can you explain the differences and similarities
> between Type 2 & LAPB?

Well, referring to Chapter 5 of IEEE 802.2, we see that the 802.2 LLC PDU
control fields are 16 bits long with 7 bits allocated to sequence numbers,
whereas LAPB control fields are 8 bits long with 3 bits allocated to
sequence numbers.  XID is as far as I know unique to 802.2.  802.2 frames
begin with a DSAP/SSAP pair which do not exist in LAPB.  Other differences
seem to be mostly terminology.  Type 2 LLC does indeed establish a reliable,
flow-controlled path between two hosts on a[n] 802.[345] network[s].

Cheers  -- Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas