[comp.protocols.misc] Info on RS-485, RS-422, etc.

bdd@calmasd.Prime.COM (Brian Donahue) (07/19/89)

My primary question is:
Where can I find official information on protocols such as RS-485,
RS-422, etc.

Secondly:
How hard would it be to implement a simple network
consisting of a bunch of "data-acquisition" micro-processors, (eg. 8088's,
68000's) all communicating with a PC or MacIntosh following these
protocols?  How hard would it be to implement the same using the
Mac's Appletalk?  EtherNet? TCP-IP?   Does any vendor sell a
"data-acquisition board" that can plug in to a network?  (I know there
are ones that plug into a parallel bus, (eg IEEE-488), is there a
cheap way to take a parallel signal & plug it into a LAN without
implementing it myself?)

Any pointers would be appreciated,
bd

--
Brian Donahue	   	Calma San Diego R&D
...{ucbvax|decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!bdd        bdd@calmasd.Prime.COM

johnro@microsoft.UUCP (John Rogers) (07/21/89)

In article <417@calmasd.Prime.COM>, bdd@calmasd.Prime.COM (Brian Donahue) writes:
> My primary question is:
> Where can I find official information on protocols such as RS-485,
> RS-422, etc.

Hi!  According to my notes, you can get the RS ("Recommended Standard")
documents from:

	Electronic Industries Association (EIA)
	2001 I St. N.W.
	Washington DC 20006
	(202) 457-4900

This address is three years old; if they've moved, could you perhaps send
me EMAIL with their new address?  Thanks.