[comp.protocols.misc] Possible Zmodem bug?

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (06/16/89)

   I think I have found a bug in Zmodem and was wondering if anyone has a fix
 for it. The problem is this: I have the latest version of rz/sz (3.03) and
 have compiled it for a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.0.1 ('make bsd'). I can xfer
 all files using zmodem just fine and dandy but it can't seem to handle
 'ZOO' files. This is specific to the Sun only. Now I don't know if this
 is a problem with the BSD version of rz/sz or a problem with the OS itself.
   I can send ZOO files from a local BBS here just fine, but I can't do it
 with ZOO files from our Unix system.
   Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so do you have some sort
 of fix?
   Oh yeah.. These are the errors that I get on my end (the recieving end) of
 the xfer (I am using JrComm and an Amiga 2000):
    Data subpacket length to long & Garbage count exceeded

       Trev

Trevor Paquette/GraphicsLand, Calgary, Alberta    Calgary Flames
.{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette          Stanley Cup Champions 1989
calgary!paquette@cs.ubc.ca                        The beginning of a dynasty!

chen@.ucalgary.ca (Lawrence [The Dreamer] Chen) (06/16/89)

In article <1514@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
>   I think I have found a bug in Zmodem and was wondering if anyone has a fix
> for it. The problem is this: I have the latest version of rz/sz (3.03) and
> have compiled it for a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.0.1 ('make bsd'). I can xfer
> all files using zmodem just fine and dandy but it can't seem to handle
> 'ZOO' files. This is specific to the Sun only. Now I don't know if this
> is a problem with the BSD version of rz/sz or a problem with the OS itself.
>   I can send ZOO files from a local BBS here just fine, but I can't do it
> with ZOO files from our Unix system.
>   Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so do you have some sort
> of fix?

Yes, I've encountered the problem....its because SZ looks at the first 6(?)
characters is a file to decide if you should send it as ascii or binary.

Unfortunately, the first 16 characters of a ZOO archive are
'ZOO 2.00 Archive'....all ASCII....so Zmodem thinks its ASCII and sends it
as ASCII.

There's a binary option switch....I think its '-b'.  I don't use Zmodem much.

>   Oh yeah.. These are the errors that I get on my end (the recieving end) of
> the xfer (I am using JrComm and an Amiga 2000):
>    Data subpacket length to long & Garbage count exceeded

How are you connected?  When I get it, I suspect its mostly a result of
Develnet or DECnet.  I've never had any problems doing the tranferrs with
the Amiga 1000's directly hooked up to the Suns.  But, lots from home.

>       Trev

>Trevor Paquette/GraphicsLand, Calgary, Alberta    Calgary Flames
>.{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette          Stanley Cup Champions 1989
>calgary!paquette@cs.ubc.ca                        The beginning of a dynasty!

     / ADHOCNET: Chen@Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA     ___ Lunatic Haven BBS
    /         or Chen@Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA  /    [CA 403 239 1225]
   /    __        __  __       __  __      /         __
  /    /_/ /   / /_/ /_  /\ / /   /_      /     /_/ /_  /\ /
 /___ / / /_/\/ / \ /__ / // /__ /__      \__/ / / /__ / //
 "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun"
 BITNET: Chen%Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA@UNCAEDU          - The Dreamer
      or Chen%Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/17/89)

In article <1514@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

> have compiled it for a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.0.1 ('make bsd'). I can xfer
> all files using zmodem just fine and dandy but it can't seem to handle
> 'ZOO' files. This is specific to the Sun only. Now I don't know if this

Use the -L command to set the window size smaller, say to 256 or 512.  The
problem will also happen with .Z (compress files).

In article <1514@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
|   I think I have found a bug in Zmodem and was wondering if anyone has a fix
| for it. The problem is this: I have the latest version of rz/sz (3.03) and
| have compiled it for a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.0.1 ('make bsd'). I can xfer
| all files using zmodem just fine and dandy but it can't seem to handle
| 'ZOO' files. This is specific to the Sun only. Now I don't know if this
| is a problem with the BSD version of rz/sz or a problem with the OS itself.
|   I can send ZOO files from a local BBS here just fine, but I can't do it
| with ZOO files from our Unix system.
|   Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so do you have some sort
| of fix?
|   Oh yeah.. These are the errors that I get on my end (the recieving end) of
| the xfer (I am using JrComm and an Amiga 2000):

I've been tranferring any kind of file (including .zoo) between a SUN 3/160
and the Amiga with A-Talk III for over a year with absolutely no problem when
using ZMODEM (in fact I ONLY use ZMODEM for speed).

On the sun I have been using lately a version that I downloaded about 6 months
ago from teleGodzilla (Chuck Forsberg's bbs).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (08/03/89)

In article <1514@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> Trevor Paquette writes:

   [text about Zmodem / Zoo file problems deleted. ]

Your problem, is what is termed 'automatic mode detection'.  If you do a:

od -c your.zoo | head

you'll see that zoo archives start, and are signafied by a text header.
This is causing Zmodem to select the '-a' mode.  Use the '-b' (binaries)
flag to override this and the problem should go away.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"