[comp.protocols.misc] Looking for info/source for XPC protocol

daniel@wind.bellcore.com (Daniel W Nachbar) (12/01/89)

I'm looking for information about a protocol called XPC.
I'm told that it was developed by Tymenet and that the protocol
spec is widely available along with some source code.
thanks in advance,
Dan Nachbar
Bell Communications Research
Morristown, NJ
nachbar@bellcore.com
(201) 829-4392

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (12/01/89)

In article <18429@bellcore.bellcore.com> daniel@wind.UUCP (Daniel W Nachbar) writes:
>I'm looking for information about a protocol called XPC.
>I'm told that it was developed by Tymenet and that the protocol
>spec is widely available along with some source code.

Dan,
	A couple of years ago, I looked into X.PC with the expectation of
porting it to UNIX.  I was disappointed. The former X.PC product manager,
Steve Kim, told me that UNIX was not TYMNET's market for X.PC.

The goal of X.PC is not so much peer-to-peer to communications
but error-free, interactive use between a PC user and TYMNET.
It's there to sell TYMNET connect time.

Though Tymnet has X.PC well-documented and gives away PC source for
a nominal charge, ($25-$50), you get client source but not *server* source.
You may find it does little more than network you to TYMNET, MCI mail,
and Western Union.  It's not a stripped-down version of X.25
like some people think it is.  If you want reliable, interactive async
communications, consider getting error-correcting modems.

	Here's my last mailing address for the source:

	X.PC Distribution
	McDonnel Douglas Center
	2560 North First Street
	San Jose, CA 95161

	The last number I had for Steve Kim was 408-922-7568. I don't know
	who answers there now.

	Best of luck,
	Robert Heath

The above are my personal opinions only.