[comp.protocols.misc] lpd Protocol Specs

paul@sdgsun.COM (Paul Emerson) (12/05/89)

Does anyone know/have the protocol specs for the BSD lpd protocol?  I haven't
seen an RFC on this does it exist? I would like to write an lpd for use
on a SYSV machine.  I currently have a TCP/IP based remote printing
application but I would like to use the BSD protocol.

And yes I konw that "/usr/ucb/rsh remotehost lpr < file" will do the trick,
that is not my interest.

Paul
---
--
Paul J. Emerson                           Software Design Group, Inc.
Senior Technical Manager                  450 Lakemont Ave.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (12/06/89)

In article <387@sdgsun.COM>, paul@sdgsun.COM (Paul Emerson) writes:

> Does anyone know/have the protocol specs for the BSD lpd protocol?  I haven't
> seen an RFC on this does it exist? I would like to write an lpd for use
> on a SYSV machine.  I currently have a TCP/IP based remote printing
> application but I would like to use the BSD protocol.

There was a lpr/lpd clone posted to comp.sources.unix some time ago. I
believe that it was intended for BSD systems (for what reason?). You might
want to use that and modify it to run under System V. And, when done, don't
forget to post the changes :-)

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB