[comp.protocols.misc] Zmodem setup

dward@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (David Ward) (01/07/90)

Thanks to every one who helped me get Kermit going. It works great, but
I now seem to get the impression that I probably wasted my time and
should have tried to get zmodem running, seeing as it's quicker.

So, as I phased it before:

Could somebody (to save me alot of time) please give me a sample setup
on both sides and a step by step guide to establishing a link and starting
/completing a file transfer with zmodem(sz/rz).

By the way this is Xenix. (Both sides).

Thanks.

I am at UUCP     ...uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!dward
        Internet ...dward@runxtsa.runx.oz.au
I am             ...David Ward > Technical Resource Manager
                               > Hume Computers Pty. Ltd.
                               > Sydney, Australia

I do not reflect light or the views of my employer and cannot be held
responible for my reactions.

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (01/11/90)

In article <559@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> dward@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (David Ward) writes:
>Thanks to every one who helped me get Kermit going. It works great, but
>I now seem to get the impression that I probably wasted my time and
>should have tried to get zmodem running, seeing as it's quicker.

I use Kermit, rz/sz and Xenix.  This is how I do it:

1) Use kermit to dial up your remote system.  Login, and make
sure that rz and sz are in your current path.

2) To SEND TO REMOTE:
a) Login to remote, cd to target directory.  Enter command: rz
b) Back to local system with ^\c  -- this will give the Kermit> prompt
c) Use the command: ! sz filename(s) >/dev/tty1a </dev/tty1a
   where tty1a is the modem port (this may differ for you).
   Note that a SPACE must follow the ! mark.  As soon as it is
   finished, type C to connect again, then logout from the remote.

3) To RECEIVE FROM REMOTE
a) Login to remote, cd to source directory.  Enter command: sz filename(s)
b) Back to local system with ^\c
c) ! rz >/dev/tty1a </dev/tty1a
d) Connect again then logout

The above procedure works reliably for me.  You can also place the
commands in a shell wrapper, e.g. rz1a to save typing.  If using
an X.25 link or similar where some control characters may be lost, try
using the -e switch with rz and sz.

I posted this because I know others will find it to be useful.
--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul