[comp.protocols.misc] ZMODEM Specs Wanted

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke (N7MSD)) (04/07/90)

  I'm looking for specs on the ZMODEM transfer protocol.  I want to write a BBS
program that supports as many protocols as possible.  I've already written to
the moderator of the kermit newsgroup for info there, but considering there
is no newsgroup specifically dedicated to X,Y, or Z-Modem users, I figured the
best place is to post here.
  I already have a source for the X and Y Modem protocols, but I need docs and
specs on ZMODEM, WXMODEM (Windowed), and the latest forms of Kermit.
  So, if anyone here has the specs needed to program a ZMODEM and/or Windowed
X,Y, or Z Modem server (however many windowed versions there are, but I
suspect the windowing technique is the same for all of them), please mail me
a message.  Thanks in advance,
Mike Storke, "storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu"

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (04/08/90)

> From: storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke (N7MSD))
> I'm looking for specs on the ZMODEM transfer protocol.  I want to
> write a BBS program that supports as many protocols as possible.  I've
> already written to the moderator of the kermit newsgroup for info
> there, but considering there is no newsgroup specifically dedicated to
> X,Y, or Z-Modem users, I figured the best place is to post here.

There is no newsgroup, but there *is* a mailing list.
Info-XMODEM@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  It is for the discussion
of the X/Y/Zmodem protocols.  WXmodem has also been discussed there.
Send email to Info-XMODEM-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL to ask to be
added to the mailing list.

> I already have a source for the X and Y Modem protocols, but I need
> docs and specs on ZMODEM, WXMODEM (Windowed), and the latest forms of
> Kermit.

With the exception of Kermit, which can be obtained from Columbia
University, these are all available via anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20's
PD3:<MISC.PROTOCOLS> directory.

> So, if anyone here has the specs needed to program a ZMODEM and/or
> Windowed X,Y, or Z Modem server (however many windowed versions there
> are, but I suspect the windowing technique is the same for all of
> them), please mail me a message.  Thanks in advance,

We have the source for Chuck Forsberg's Y/Y/Zmodem for Unix and
VAX/VMS, in directory PD3:<MISC.ZMODEM>.  WXmodem source is available
in PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]