[comp.protocols.misc] What does SMB Stand For?

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (04/13/90)

I am hunting for a reference on the SMB protocol.  (I don't
even known what the letters stand for.) Could someone tell
me where I can find a reference which will allow me to learn
more about it?

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't.
Data General Corp.

Speaking for myself alone.

gwollman@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Garrett A Wollman) (04/14/90)

In article <361@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!rec (Robert Cousins) writes:
>I am hunting for a reference on the SMB protocol.  (I don't
>even known what the letters stand for.)

Last I checked, "Server Message Block" is the protocol (layered on
top of NetBIOS and/or NetBEUI) which MS-NET and Lan Manager use
to work their remote file access.

-GAWollman
--
"All societies are based on rules to protect pregnant women and children.
 . . . As racial survival is the only universal morality, no other bases

randys@otl.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randy Smerik) (04/15/90)

In article <361@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!rec (Robert Cousins) writes:

>I am hunting for a reference on the SMB protocol.  (I don't
>even known what the letters stand for.) Could someone tell
>me where I can find a reference which will allow me to learn
>more about it?

SMB stands for "Server Message Block".  It is a protocol used in
the LAN Manager environment.  I don't personally know of a good
reference, but I would think that any detailed book on LAN Manager
would describe SMB.

Good Luck,

Randy Smerik, randy.smerik@sandiego.ncr.com, (619) 485-2084
NCR Corp., 16550 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego, CA  92127