[comp.protocols.misc] Point-to-Point Protocol

sdelles@cbnewse.att.com (steven.c.delles) (06/07/90)

I am looking for information about Point-to-Point Protocol.  Could
somebody out there give me some help?  Is PPP a good replacement for
SLIP?  Is the source code in the public domain?  If so, where can I get
it?   What's the performance like?

Thanks
Steve Delles

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun7.134915.1826@cbnewse.att.com> sdelles@cbnewse.att.com (steven.c.delles) writes:
> Is PPP a good replacement for SLIP?  Is the source code in the
> public domain?  If so, where can I get it?  What's the performance like?

PPP is described in RFC1134 and a few draft RFCs under revision by the
IETF PPP working group (see nnsc.nsf.net:/internet-drafts).  PPP is
intended as a standard p-to-p encapsulation scheme - and not just for IP.
And it will supports things that can only be hacked into SLIP (CRC,
address negotiation, protocol (TCP) header compression, etc).

The implementations I know of are all (or will all be) freely redistributable
(but not public domain).  They are: one for 4BSD from CMU, one for SunOS4.0
(sync only) from U Hawaii, one for KA9Q from UCDavis, and one that Van
Jacobson is working on (based roughly - very roughly - on the CMU prototype).

There will be a splash of PPP products displayed at InterOP90.

John
--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140 x284
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group