[comp.protocols.misc] Please suggest periodicals

marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) (07/26/90)

In order to keep track with global development in data communications
(esp. high speed) I would like to read some periodicals which provide
understandable (for students :-) information about these topics.

I would be very glad if someone out there could suggest me what I should
read.

I'm rather new on the subjects and am just now trying to understand DQDB
(IEEE 802.6 standard).

Thanks in advance for any reply,
Marc
--

   Marc Gumbold    EMail: marc@uni-paderborn.de       Phone: +49 5251 60 3803
                   Snail: Uni-GH Paderborn, FB17i, 4790 Paderborn, W. Germany

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul26.090332.4973@uni-paderborn.de> marc@uni-paderborn.de (Marc Gumbold) writes:
>In order to keep track with global development in data communications
>(esp. high speed) I would like to read some periodicals which provide
>understandable (for students :-) information about these topics.
>
>I would be very glad if someone out there could suggest me what I should
>read.

Marc:

Please understand that I'm biased on this subject (I'm the editor of
one of the journals) but for good coverage of data communications intended
for folks with at least some interest in research activities like high
speed networking, I'd recommend:

	IEEE Communications Magazine
	IEEE Transactions on Communications
	ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review

and perhaps

	IEEE Jour. Selected Areas of Communications

There are other notable publications (e.g., Computer Networks and ISDN Systems,
and the soon to appear, Journal of Internetworking) and some notable
conferences (the top two are probably INFOCOM and SIGCOMM - SIGCOMM Proceedings
come with subscription to Computer Communication Review, INFOCOM you have
to order each year from IEEE), but I think the three or four journals
listed above are the ones most likely to meet your current needs.

These should all be in your local technical library, but if you want to
subscribe to them yourself (or join the two professional societies that
publish them) here's the information:

    The IEEE journals are published by the IEEE Communication Society.
    Contact the IEEE Service Center, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ,
    08854-4150, USA +1 (201) 981-0060.

    The ACM SIGCOMM journal is published by the ACM Special Interest
    Group in Computer Communication (SIGCOMM).  To subscribe,
    contact Association for Computing Machinery, attn: Cynthia
    Bydlinski, 11 West 42nd St, New York, New York, 10036 USA
    +1 (212) 869-7440.  You can also find an ACM application in
    any copy of Communications of the ACM (you can become either
    an ACM member, a SIGCOMM member, or both). If you have
    any problems getting a SIGCOMM subscription, please let me know.

Craig Partridge
Editor, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review