[comp.protocols.misc] DECNET Phase IV routing packets

hutton@nic.cerf.net (Tom Hutton) (08/15/90)

Does anyone have a program for cracking DECNET routing packets.  We
are attempting to track down some strange DECnet behavior and hex dumps
of routing packets are not much help.   (If someone had the structures
of the routing packets that would be of great help.   The DEC documents
that I have are very vague in this area)

Thanks,
	Tom Hutton
	San Diego Supercomputer Center

VERKADE@CTSS.CO.UK (Herman Verkade) (08/25/90)

In article <137@nic.cerf.net>, hutton@nic.cerf.net (Tom Hutton) writes:
>Does anyone have a program for cracking DECNET routing packets.  We
>are attempting to track down some strange DECnet behavior and hex dumps
>of routing packets are not much help.   (If someone had the structures
>of the routing packets that would be of great help.   The DEC documents
>that I have are very vague in this area)

I don't have a program, but I do have the layout documented somewhere.
Unfortunately, I have just moved and it is somewhere in one of the 30 million
boxes in my study. From the top of my head: A routing packet contains one or
more routing update packets. Each of them starting off with two bytes in which
10 bits identify a base address and 5 bytes identify a count, followed by
`count' words containing cost/hops information. Don't quote me on the absolute
positioning of the fields in the words, but it's something like:

  08 40 01 04 01 04 01 04 00 00 ff ff 02 08 01 04 01 04

means:

  Subpacket contains info for 8 nodes starting off with 40 (hex)

  Node 64 (40 hex) is 1 hop away with cost 4
  Node 65 is 1 hop away with cost 4
  Node 66 is 1 hop away with cost 4
  Node 67 is 0 hop away with cost 0, i.e. it is the sender of the packet
  Node 68 is unreachable
  Node 69 is 2 hop away with cost 8
  Node 70 is 1 hop away with cost 4
  Node 71 is 1 hop away with cost 4

It is documented in the documents for DECnet Architecture and Protocols course.
If you want the precise info, send me mail and I'll forward it in a few days.

Herman Verkade

cac@hpctdlr.HP.COM (Chris Clabaugh) (10/17/90)

     What you need is the spec:

     DECnet Digital Network Architecture
     Phase IV
     Routing Layer Functional Specification
     Order No. AA-X435A-TK
     December 1983

     This spec has the level 1 and level 2 routing packets fully described
as well as the ethernet endnode hello message and the ethernet router hello
message.

Chris Clabaugh
Hewlett-Packard Colorado Telecommunications Division
cac@hpctdkg.hp.com