[comp.protocols.misc] Group III Fax Protocol

cox@software.org (Guy Cox) (10/10/90)

Can someone point me in the direction of the transmission
protocol for Group III fax? Can a plain vanilla 4800 or 9600
baud modem be used ?

--
//
//Remember; Tuesday is Soylent green day!

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (10/14/90)

In article <1701@software.software.org> cox@software.org (Guy Cox) writes:
>Can someone point me in the direction of the transmission
>protocol for Group III fax? Can a plain vanilla 4800 or 9600
>baud modem be used ?

Group III FAX uses CCITT (European) modem standards, which differ from U.S.
modem standards.  What you want is the CCITT "Blue Book" covering
recommendations T.0-T.60-something, which ha all of the FAX standards in
it, among a bunch of other stuff.  CCITT standards are available from
Omnicom, Inc. in Vienna, VA.  I don't have their number or address handy,
but if all else fails you can probably get it from Directory Assistance
for area code 703...

Good Luck,

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@visix.com>
Visix Software Inc.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/15/90)

In article <1701@software.software.org> cox@software.org (Guy Cox) writes:

   Can someone point me in the direction of the transmission
   protocol for Group III fax? Can a plain vanilla 4800 or 9600
   baud modem be used ?

see also alt.fax and the alt.fax archives in nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu.

--Ed

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) (10/19/90)

In article <2717F23F.4372@intercon.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>CCITT standards are available from
>Omnicom, Inc. in Vienna, VA.  I don't have their number or address handy,
>but if all else fails you can probably get it from Directory Assistance
>for area code 703...

I just received information from Omnicom on ordering OSI documents.  They
sent me this information after calling them at 703-281-1135.
--
Ron Holt	ron@Eyring.COM  uunet!lanai!ron
Eyring Inc.	+1 801-375-2434 x434