[comp.protocols.misc] Early microcomputer networks

news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) (11/07/90)

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, the Physics department at
Washington University (St. Louis) had a primitive (by today's
standards) network of 8 to 10 diskless PDP-11's running a modified
RT-11 hanging off of a dedicated PDP-11 disk server.  Each client had
it's own coax link to the server.  (Good thing they had separate lines
too, since nearly every thunderstorm blew the transceiver chips at
both ends of the long line out to the cyclotron building.)

Around 1980, with the proliferation of micros like the Apple II and
S-100 CPM boxes, the architect of the system, Prof. Scandrett,
extended the network so that micros could all share the same cable.

He had it working on the Apple II's.  In 1981, I hacked up CPM's BIOS
to make the disk server look like a (rather large) CPM drive.

Disk storage (other than floppies) was quite expensive at the time, so
I'm sure there were similar ad-hoc networks elsewhere.  Everyone knows
about ethernet, which was by then, I believe, common at most large
universities.  But what about networks that became extinct, the
network dinosaurs?  What was happening with other mini/microcomputer
networks around that time?

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

gdmr@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (George Ross) (11/08/90)

In article <JIM.90Nov6131135@baroque.Stanford.EDU>, news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) writes:
> ...  But what about networks that became extinct, the
> network dinosaurs?  What was happening with other mini/microcomputer
> networks around that time?

They're still alive and kicking (at least, in their later incarnations).

In the early '70s we had an assortment of minis, tied together with point-to-point
"links", running initially at about 256Kbaud, and latterly at 2Mbaud.  These
links were full-duplex flow-controlled, with error detection (parity and
positive/negative acknowledgement).  The machines included several Interdata 70s,
a dozen or so 74s, a PDP-8, a PDP-9 and a PDP-15.  Originally they all ran their
usual operating systems, but around 1976 we added a big (67Mbyte!) disc to one of
the 70s and converted it to a file server.  At first it just did file storage and
transfer, but by the early 1980s we had converted the 74s to be discless clients
which booted from the central server (thanks to the AUTOLOAD instruction) and then
relied completely on it and a separate compute server (another 70).  Meantime
the PDP-8 had been retired and the 9 and 15 converted to use the central server as
a virtual-DECtape server as well as a file server.

Since then we've converted the links to a 2Mbaud CSMA/CD network which provides reliable virtual circuits in the firmware, added 60-odd 68K-based machines, retired
all the Interdatas and the PDP-9 and 15, and added several new 68K-based file servers.
There's nothing left now of the original hardware, though for a while around the mid
'80s it was all running happily together.  In fact, the last "link" board was removed
just last year when we switched off our 780.  The file access protocol is still the
same, though, more or less, as that used in 1976 -- the only difference is that the current servers don't understand some of the more baroque block-size constructs needed
to get the virtual DECtapes working sensibly.

It's a stateful protocol, btw, with user validation done by the servers on the basis
of link- and VC-specific tokens issued by them in response to the initial logon request.
Just what's needed, in fact, to deal with a labful of students all doing operating systems practicals.

--
George D M Ross, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
031-650 5147 or 031-667 1081    gdmr@uk.ac.ed.cs (or cs.ed.ac.uk if you prefer)

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (11/10/90)

> But what about networks that became extinct, the
> network dinosaurs?  What was happening with other mini/microcomputer
> networks around that time?

When I came to Australia, Two years ago, I had to deal with a Corvus Omninet
They wouldn't believe me when I told them they needed a new network.

It ran a bunch apple II's.  Yuk, but It could connect up to IBM PC's and
other computers as well.  I understand (now) it was a type of RS422 hdwe
layer.  Anyways.  I wouldn't mind having it at home tho.  :-)

Ronn

farber@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (11/10/90)

In 1973 ish at UC Irvine, we ran a fully distributed operating system
with message passing IPC over a 2.3 megabit per second local
token ring. The systems were 11 style (Locheed SUES) and the ring
evolved to the Proteon and IBM rings latter on.

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/13/90)

In article <15662.273ad3d6@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>> But what about networks that became extinct, the
>> network dinosaurs?  What was happening with other mini/microcomputer
>> networks around that time?
>>

>When I came to Australia, Two years ago, I had to deal with a Corvus Omninet
>They wouldn't believe me when I told them they needed a new network.
>
>It ran a bunch apple II's.  Yuk, but It could connect up to IBM PC's and
>other computers as well.  I understand (now) it was a type of RS422 hdwe
>layer.  Anyways.  I wouldn't mind having it at home tho.  :-)
>
>Ronn
	They are running that at my school now.  A High School.
(Of course this is a school in the Midwest. . .)
(Ducking head to avoid flames)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (11/13/90)

I remember people having Corvus disk systems on their Apple II's
around 1980.  But I never used them.  What was the architecture?
Was the protocol file level or raw device?

milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (11/14/90)

In article <JIM.90Nov12221608@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:

>I remember people having Corvus disk systems on their Apple II's
>around 1980.  But I never used them.  What was the architecture?
>Was the protocol file level or raw device?

Well, let's see what I can rember.  We had one of these installed in
high school, and I was a consultant* there too, only I worked more on
the prime, but that is a different story.  All of this is from memory
of a user, so someone can correct my errors :-)  The last time I went
back and visited they had replaced it with a NOVELL (sp?) and had some
macs and a couple IBM's too.  The lab was installed in 1982; I graduated
in 1986.

* Consultant to other students, aka lab assistant during one class hour.
My supervisor was the system administrator for the instructional computing
facilities at the highschool.

What I rember was 3 stackable boxes about 9x15" of various heights,
one was the network interface (2-3" high), one was the VCR backup
attachment (one board in a 1" case), and the disk itself (actually
two drives, 40MB???? each?, 5-6" high).  I rember the apple in the
office was special, but I don't rember if it was in the datapath to
the drive or not (probably not, as you could run regular applications
there too).  The lab consisted of 30 apple ][e's connected via 2 wires
to a common bus line.  Connections to the bus were made with T boxes
and a 2 pin 1/8" phone plug.

Each apple had a board in slot six (so you could boot from it), if you
used ctl-reset you could abort the network boot.  There was user
login (with password) and you were given one or more pseudo-floppy
disk volumes which booted a slightly different apple dos.  Actually,
you had drives one and two on slot six and volumes 1-255, so you play
games.  Each apple also had a local floppy drive installed in slot four
for user access and program storage.

There was also support for apple pascal, you could boot and run
it off the network, including accessing multiple volumes (this
is where I took my first stab at pascal....)

It took some time to get reliable VCR backups, which took about
45 min to record and another 45 to verify (we found that the early
ones with random VCRs were not doing any good, and bought a VCR
for our sole use).

Probably the thing I rember most is patching basic software to
support the multiple volumes so the program and data would be
on the shared read-only disk, but the data would be written on
the disk in drive 4).  The other thing I rember doing is going
around and booting some wordprocessor at every station from
two floppies :-) (yes, we were licsensed for multiple copies).

Well, this is what I rember from a user's perspective.  If you
have specific questions, I try and rember, but no promises.

milton

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov13.210141.28709@en.ecn.purdue.edu> milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) writes:
>In article <JIM.90Nov12221608@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:
>>I remember people having Corvus disk systems on their Apple II's
>>around 1980.
>Well, let's see what I can rember.  We had one of these installed in
>high school...  The lab was installed in 1982; I graduated in 1986.
>What I rember was 3 stackable boxes about 9x15" of various heights,
>one was the network interface (2-3" high), one was the VCR backup
>attachment (one board in a 1" case), and the disk itself

Sounds like a Corvus Constellation setup with the Corvus Mirror VCR backup
device.  Who says videotape data storage is a new idea :-)

Someone actually bought a Mirror?  Wow.

-dave

--
David Hsu	 Engineering Computer Facility       (301) 405 3689
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742

6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Michael Wise) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175037.1497@eng.umd.edu> hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) writes:

>In article <1990Nov13.210141.28709@en.ecn.purdue.edu> milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) writes:
>>In article <JIM.90Nov12221608@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:
>>>I remember people having Corvus disk systems on their Apple II's
>>>around 1980.
>>Well, let's see what I can rember.  We had one of these installed in
>>high school...  The lab was installed in 1982; I graduated in 1986.

I remember using a Corvus Constellation setup in H.S. too.  I remember
the servers came in 5, 10 and 20 meg versions (correct me if I'm wrong),
and that was pretty impressive when at the time an Apple ][ floppy
only held about 140K.

Remember how when you booted up the Apple the constellation would appear
on the screen in ascii "*"s...

| Internet: 6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu    | All opinions stated are mine.|
| BITNET:   6600raft@UCSBUXA.BITNET      |      **Save The Earth**      |

lyle@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Lyle Weiman) (11/15/90)

What, and nobody mentioned Z-Net yet?  It was a completely
proprietary network, implemented on Zilog's z80-based os
(forgot its name), which was implemented in assembly and so
pretty non-portable, but there were some folks who liked it.
Z-net ran at about 800kbps, using an SIO chip, the same one
that Omninet used for its 1mbps, I think.

) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.175037.1497@eng.umd.edu>, hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) writes:
> In article <1990Nov13.210141.28709@en.ecn.purdue.edu> milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) writes:
>>In article <JIM.90Nov12221608@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:
>>>I remember people having Corvus disk systems on their Apple II's
>>>around 1980.
>>Well, let's see what I can rember.  We had one of these installed in
>>high school...  The lab was installed in 1982; I graduated in 1986.
>>What I rember was 3 stackable boxes about 9x15" of various heights,
>>one was the network interface (2-3" high), one was the VCR backup
>>attachment (one board in a 1" case), and the disk itself
>
> Sounds like a Corvus Constellation setup with the Corvus Mirror VCR backup
> device.  Who says videotape data storage is a new idea :-)
>
> Someone actually bought a Mirror?  Wow.

Well, like I said, the Ozzie company here (my previous employer BTW :-) )
had the Omninet. . . They had one 10M server and a mirror, which was not
utilized; It was just 'around'.  Anyways - -  You could run Different net OS'es
on it.   Since it was basically RS-422, I guess the specs were pretty easy to
find.  Our problem was that we had the Constellation II software, an upgrade I
assume from the C I product.  It used pipes to send files & things between
apples & IBM's, etc. . . I have seen a card since for an NEC APC (!?)
 Talk about a beast. . .
Well, that was basically our problem; because Novell had a package of Netware
to run on the Omninet.  Unfortunately, we had the CII software from Corvus,
which had just gone under.  I couldn't find anything to help me use the system
and the rest of the site (Winery) was going headlong into Appletalk and since
Mac IIcx's, I got frustrated and left.  How can you do control on a shoestring
like that?
It would have been nice to do Arcnet.  I understand that's a good deterministic
system.  Would have been just right for controlling gear remotely, although
there was another net (by Proteon?) called 10-net ???  I was impressed by that.
What has happened to it?  I could seal off sections of the net and if
connections where completely broken, you'd have two separately operating systems
Sounded great, but was $$$. . .

Ronn

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (11/15/90)

In article <15686.27426844@levels.sait.edu.au>,
	etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (What a Guy!) writes:
>there was another net (by Proteon?) called 10-net ???  I was impressed by that.
>What has happened to it?  I could seal off sections of the net and if
>connections where completely broken, you'd have two separately operating systems
>Sounded great, but was $$$. . .

Proteon 10-Net is an 802.5-style token ring, essentially like IBM Token Ring
but at 10 Mbits/sec rather than 4 or 16.
--
cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (11/17/90)

In article <2742B8F0.6ED4@marob.masa.com> cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) writes:
	etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (What a Guy!) writes:
>>there was another net (by Proteon?) called 10-net ???  I was impressed by that.
>>What has happened to it?  I could seal off sections of the net and if
>>connections where completely broken, you'd have two separately operating systems
>>Sounded great, but was $$$. . .
>
>Proteon 10-Net is an 802.5-style token ring, essentially like IBM Token Ring
>but at 10 Mbits/sec rather than 4 or 16.
>--

Proteon proNET 10 is still a popular networking product.  It's simple to
program, has low overhead, and performs faster than 16Mbit IBM Token Ring
due to the low amount of overhead.  Banyan Vines, Novell and a bunch of other
network operating systems all support it.  So do quite a few large university
networks Watstar (ours is 450 nodes), TCP/IP stuff at Purdue and MIT, and
the Free University of Holland (Taunenbaum's home).

ProNET 10 is cheaper than IBM Token Ring, and pretty similar to good Ethernet
cards.

Erick Engelke
Systems Manager
University of Waterloo

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) (11/18/90)

In article <7228@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Michael Wise) writes:
>In article <1990Nov14.175037.1497@eng.umd.edu> hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dagwood splits the Atom) writes:

>>>Well, let's see what I can rember.  We had one of these installed in
>>>high school...  The lab was installed in 1982; I graduated in 1986.
>
>I remember using a Corvus Constellation setup in H.S. too.  I remember
>the servers came in 5, 10 and 20 meg versions (correct me if I'm wrong),

   My office mate is a Corvus mechanic on the side - the latest
version of the roms for those things support 330 meg mfm drives(!)
and the largest hes ever used was a 110 meg disk

cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) (11/21/90)

In article <7228@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Michael Wise) writes:
>I remember using a Corvus Constellation setup in H.S. too.  I remember
>the servers came in 5, 10 and 20 meg versions (correct me if I'm wrong),
>and that was pretty impressive when at the time an Apple ][ floppy
>only held about 140K.
>
>Remember how when you booted up the Apple the constellation would appear
>on the screen in ascii "*"s...

We had an Apple ][ lab with a Corvus in elementary school; it was
installed when I was in sixth grade (1981).  The one thing I best
remember about it was how often it crashed, and how often we lost all
of our files.  I really hated the thing, I almost expected to lose my
files every time I went into the lab.  The year I graduated from 8th
grade they got a second Corvus (ack!).

I used to use the Apple monitor program to write short machine
language programs, and would save them on the Corvus using BSAVE.  The
computer teacher/sysadmin used to blame me for bringing down the
Corvus by writing binary files to it.

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)  --  cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
  --  WBRS (BRiS)  --  WBRS@binah.cc.brandeis.edu  WBRS@brandeis.bitnet

lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.201509.14205@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) writes:
> We had an Apple ][ lab with a Corvus in elementary school; it was
> installed when I was in sixth grade (1981).  The one thing I best
> remember about it was how often it crashed, and how often we lost all
> of our files.  I really hated the thing, I almost expected to lose my
> files every time I went into the lab.  The year I graduated from 8th
> grade they got a second Corvus (ack!).
>
> I used to use the Apple monitor program to write short machine
> language programs, and would save them on the Corvus using BSAVE.  The
> computer teacher/sysadmin used to blame me for bringing down the
> Corvus by writing binary files to it.
And he/she/it was absolutely RIGHT!!!    You ex- little s*&%.  :-)
The BSAVE command takes several optional arguements.  There are two
numbers to include at the end that specified volume and directory on a
system such as the Corvus.  If you left them off, you ended up saving your
machine language right on top of the directory structure on the corvus.  I
saw students do this when I was student teaching.  If only there had been
a manual around, I could have told them what to type in or at least have
told them it wouldn't work and why.  As it was, they were using some
program that would calculate the numbers automatically and it worked great
for the standard (disk in slot 6?) setup, but didn't append the extra
numbers for the Corvus.

"TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu

tytso@tsx-11.MIT.EDU (Theodore Y. Ts'o) (11/26/90)

In article <20@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch) writes:
>In article <1990Nov20.201509.14205@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
>cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) writes:
>> We had an Apple ][ lab with a Corvus in elementary school; it was
>> installed when I was in sixth grade (1981).  The one thing I best
>> remember about it was how often it crashed, and how often we lost all
>> of our files.  I really hated the thing, I almost expected to lose my
>> files every time I went into the lab.  The year I graduated from 8th
>> grade they got a second Corvus (ack!).

The other neat thing about the Corvus was that the "Login program" would
read the login/password file into memory and leave it there after it logged
you in.  Of course, the passwords were stored in the clear, so it was the
work of a moment to write a quick basic program to dump out all of the
accounts with their passwords.

Security?  What's that?
Theodore Ts'o				bloom-beacon!mit-athena!tytso
3 Ames St., Cambridge, MA 02139		tytso@athena.mit.edu
   Everybody's playing the game, but nobody's rules are the same!