[comp.protocols.misc] DECnet protocol description ?

rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Luigi Rizzo) (11/25/90)

Is some information about the Decnet protocols (including LAT)
available ? I often read messages showing that people is very well
informed about packet formats and such issues, but never found a
complete description of the protocol (kind of RFCs, as they exist
for TCP/IP). Does Digital sell the specification for reasonable
prices ?
	Thanks
	Luigi

Luigi Rizzo
University of Illinois (on leave from the Univ. of Pisa)
Beckman Institute		phone: (217) 244-3225
405 N Mathews			e-mail: rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Urbana, IL 61801

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov24.191343.8638@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rizzo@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Luigi Rizzo) writes:
>Is some information about the Decnet protocols (including LAT)
>available ? I often read messages showing that people is very well
>informed about packet formats and such issues, but never found a
>complete description of the protocol (kind of RFCs, as they exist
>for TCP/IP). Does Digital sell the specification for reasonable
>prices ?

Digital has historically sold the specifications -- the problem has
been finding the product number.  I used to have friends at Digital
tell me the product number (printed on the cover of the manuals) and
then call my local salesman and ask for a copy.

Craig