[comp.protocols.misc] How good is CRC-32 at burst error detection?

jtkohl@MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) (12/04/90)

I'm considering using CRC-32 to checksum the contents of an encryption,
and some literature suggests that such a checksum needs to be good at
burst error detection.

How does CRC-32 fare for burst error detection?  How about
(mostly-)isolated errors?
--
John Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl@MIT.EDU>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (12/04/90)

In article <JTKOHL.90Dec3115033@quicksilver.MIT.EDU> jtkohl@MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) writes:
>I'm considering using CRC-32 to checksum the contents of an encryption,
>and some literature suggests that such a checksum needs to be good at
>burst error detection.

A 32 bit CRC should be able to detect all burst errors affecting up to
32 bits (ie. the distance from the 1 bit in error to the last bit in error
is 32 bits).

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626