[comp.protocols.misc] LINDA

jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) (08/06/88)

Hello Friends,

A trade rag blurb that I read the other day and can't find now discussed
the programming language Linda.  It is a language for writing network
distributed programs and compiles into C, Fortrash, Modula-2, and some others.
Paraphrase: "Currently programs talk to each other over the network
with a sort of telephone call.  Linda uses a distributed bulletin board
instead, called 'tuple space'.  All the subprograms on individual machines
add tuples to the tuple space and pull them off whenever they like."
The very superficial article implied that it's a very slick system
for doing distributed programs and doing low-level communication between them.
It was written by David Gelertner at Yale.  Does anyone have any info on this?
Is it public domain? FTP-able?
How about a mail address (from usenet) to Professor Gelertner or
a general postmaster/address finder at Yale?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry O. Merlaine
Bell Technologies
Fremont CA
pacbell.com!belltec!jom

carriero%hagar@CS.YALE.EDU (Nicholas Carriero) (08/07/88)

In article <251@belltec.UUCP> jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) writes:
>A trade rag blurb that I read the other day and can't find now discussed
>the programming language Linda.  It is a language for writing network
>distributed programs and compiles into C, Fortrash, Modula-2, and some others.

In this context, "Linda" does not specify a particular programming
language.  It does specify a particular memory model (tuple space) and
set of operations on that memory that, taken together, provide support
for explicit parallel/distributed programming.  This model can be
added to many "standard" languages (we have done so to C and Fortran,
others are working on languages such as Modula-2 and Lisp) to produce
a variant language (C-Linda, Fortran-Linda, etc.) that, together with
a suitable run-time kernel, can support parallel and distributed
programming on a wide variety of machines (ranging from Encores and
Sequents to hypercubes to lans).

>The very superficial article implied that it's a very slick system
>for doing distributed programs and doing low-level communication between them.
>It was written by David Gelertner at Yale.  Does anyone have any info on this?

That's "Gelernter", and for the record David invented the concept but
the lan system, about which the article was probably reporting, was developed
by Jerry Leichter at Yale as part of his Ph.D. work.

>Is it public domain? FTP-able?

Not sure what "it" is here.  At any rate, if it's code that you want we
can provide some under terms that vary with the system involved (some
of the systems are (or will be) licensed through Yale, others through
a local company that is handling the commercial development of this
work).

If you would like more information, send a request to:

	{carriero, gelernter or leichter}@yale.edu

or (just guessing):

	...!decvax!yale!{carriero, gelernter, or leichter}

-Nick Carriero

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (08/08/88)

For whatever it's worth, there's an article `Generative Communication in
Linda' in TOPLAS Jan 85.

magreer@violet.waterloo.edu (Mark Greer) (08/08/88)

In message <251@belltec.UUCP> Jerry Merlaine writes:

> Hello Friends,

> A trade rag blurb that I read the other day and can't find now discussed
> the programming language Linda.
> Does anyone have any info on this?
> Is it public domain? FTP-able?
> How about a mail address (from usenet) to Professor Gelertner or
> a general postmaster/address finder at Yale?

Don't know much about this except you can get a write-up on it in:

Carriero & Gelernter (sp?), "The S/Net's Linda Kernel",
ACM TOCS, May 1986, pp. 110-129.

Sorry, not quite sure of the spelling, misplaced the article somewhere!
Oh, and TOCS means Transactions on Computing Systems, just in case.

				Mark

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (08/09/88)

In article <1181@garth.UUCP> smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) writes:
>For whatever it's worth, there's an article `Generative Communication in
>Linda' in TOPLAS Jan 85.

TOPLAS - Transactions On Programming Languages And Systems, published by
ACM, in fine libraries everywhere.

Is TOPLAS topless or a top lass?

john@itivax.UUCP (John Sauter) (08/12/88)

In article <251@belltec.UUCP> jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) writes:
>A trade rag blurb that I read the other day and can't find now discussed
>the programming language Linda.  It is a language for writing network
>distributed programs and compiles into C, Fortrash, Modula-2, and some others.
>It was written by David Gelertner at Yale.  Does anyone have any info on this?
>Is it public domain? FTP-able?

Check the article in Computer, August 1986.  Linda was implemented on
AT&T Bell Labs S/Net multicomputer, MicroVAX network and an Intel
iPSC hypercube but at the time of the article was still pretty
shaky.  Linda basically added a few simple primitives to existing
languages.  Gelernter address is Dept of Comp. Science, PO Box 2158,
Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520-2158.  That's all I know

cfleck@wright.EDU (Charles Fleckenstein) (08/12/88)

in article <251@belltec.UUCP>, jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) says:

> Does anyone have any info on LINDA?

   I have been working on a small Linda implementation written in C
   to run on a network of Sun Workstations.  It is a very interesting and
   useful distributed programming language.  I have read a great
   deal about Linda, but I am by no means an expert.  Talk to
   Nicholas Carriero and David Gelernter at Yale for expert advice.
   The following are just some of the good articles on Linda:

    The S/Net's Linda Kernel, ACM Transactions on Computer Systems,
    Vol. 4, No. 2, May 1986, Pages 110 - 129.
    N. Carriero and D. Gelernter

    Distributed Communication via global buffer, Proc. ACM Symp.
    Principles of Distributed Computing, (Aug. 1982):10-18
    By Gelernter and A. Bernstein

    Generative Communication in Linda, ACM Trans. Prog. Lang. Sys.
    1(1985):80-112  by Gelernter.

    Application Experience with Linda, Proc. ACM/SIGPLAN Symp. on
    Parallel Programming, July 1988 by N. Carriero and D. Gelernter.

    Dynamic Global Name spaces on Network Computers, Proc. Intl.
    Conf. Parallel Processing (Aug 1984).

    Implementation of Tuple Space Machines, Research Report YALEU/
    DCS/RR-567, December 1987 By Nicholas Carierro.

I have additional references if you would like them.  Take a look
at the articles, you'll be suprised what this language is capable of..

Charles J. Fleckenstein
Graduate student at Wright State University
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering
Dayton, OH 45435

Email:  cfleck@thor.wright.edu

cfleck@wright.EDU (Charles Fleckenstein) (08/12/88)

in article <277@thor.wright.EDU>, cfleck@wright.EDU (Charles Fleckenstein) says:

> in article <251@belltec.UUCP>, jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) says:
>>

>> Does anyone have any info on LINDA?
>
>    I have been working on a small Linda implementation written in C
>    to run on a network of Sun Workstations.  It is a very interesting and
>    useful distributed programming language (should be model).

  As Dr. Carriero pointed out, it is a distributed programming model
  not a particular language.   My bad !  Excuse me.  I guess that
  is why I am still a student.  I have implemented a Linda Model
  using C and a small kernel which runs on top of Berkeley Unix.
  It has just three linda functions in(), out(), and read(),
  to operate on the tuple space.

                           cfleck

Charles J. Fleckenstein
Graduate student at Wright State University
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering
Dayton, OH 45435

Email:  cfleck@thor.wright.edu

kkc@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Kwok K. Chan) (01/24/91)

Does anyone know the name and the address of the company
who sells the commerical version of LINDA system ?

Thank you.

No signature yet