[comp.protocols.misc] xmodem definition

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/19/91)

	I was just asked if I knew about the X-modem protocol by (of all
people) the boss's son, who happens to be a nice kid who's teaching himself
to program on a Macintosh, not to mention being somebody who, by being the
object of my doing a favor, could help me score points :-)

	Anyway, I looked around on uunet and sumex looking for some
document that describes the X-modem protocol but couldn't find anything
that looked useful (although I did find rather a few programs that talk
X-modem on a variety of platforms).  Does such a document exist?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

forget@terre (Yves Forget) (02/19/91)

Yves Forget                    forget at terre.dmi.usherb.ca (Internet)
Universite de Sherbrooke       bo05   at udesvm.bitnet (bitnet address)

forget@terre (Yves Forget) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb18.200845.22387@phri.nyu.edu> roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I was just asked if I knew about the X-modem protocol by (of all
>people) the boss's son, who happens to be a nice kid who's teaching himself
>to program on a Macintosh, not to mention being somebody who, by being the
>object of my doing a favor, could help me score points :-)
>
>	Anyway, I looked around on uunet and sumex looking for some
>document that describes the X-modem protocol but couldn't find anything
>that looked useful (although I did find rather a few programs that talk
>X-modem on a variety of platforms).  Does such a document exist?

There's a file named xmodem.c.Z in pub/ArchiveVol1/unix-util/xmodem at
apple.com  (130.43.2.2).  If the kid is programming, he probly won't want the
program, but a specification to write one.

For a spec, there's a file named xmodemSpecs in /pub/specs at
tybalt.caltech.edu (131.215.139.100).

These are the first ones I got, but it may be available somewhere else.  Now
you just have to FTP the files to get your points :-)

As the question is frequently asked, I will add a few lines to say that you
could also find specs for ymodem and zmodem at simtel (26.2.0.74) in
pd2:ms-dos2.zmodem or in mirror at 128.252.135.4 (mirror of simtel).  I would
suggest you to try the mirror, since simtel is very busy.

Hope this helps

Yves Forget