[net.works] Seminar

@RUTGERS.ARPA:SASW@MIT-MC (04/20/85)

From: Steven A. Swernofsky <SASW@MIT-MC>

MSG:  *MSG   3952
Date: 04/19/85 09:45:25
From: JOHN at MIT-XX
Re:   SEMINAR

Date: Fri 19 Apr 85 09:36:47-EST
From: John J. Doherty <JOHN@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: SEMINAR
To: bboard@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: john@MIT-XX.ARPA

                          SEMINAR

		DATE:   April 22, 1985

		TIME:	Refreshments    1:50 P.M.

			Seminar		2:00 P.M.

		PLACE:  NE43-512A

		  COMPUTER COMMUNITIES SEMINAR SERIES

		  "A STATUS REPORT ON PROJECT ATHENA"
			BY STEVEN R. LERMAN

	Project Athena was officially begun in May, 1983. The program
has three major components. First, and foremost, Athena is an
educational experiment. Its primary goal is to encourage exploration of
new ways of using computation in the MIT curriculum, with a strong
emphasis on undergraduate subjects. The second component is technical.
In order to create a productive educational environment, Athena will
provide a large network of high performance workstations that present
both the user and the developer of educational software with a single
set of interfaces. the third element is logistical. Athena is engaged
in physically transforming much of the MIT campus to accommodate
workstations. this includes the creation of public work areas as well as
siting of equipment in dormitories, fraternities, laboratories,
classrooms, libraries and other parts of the Institute.

	This presentation will review progress and plans in each of
these areas. Problems in achieving the project's various objectives will
be explored and discussed.

@RUTGERS.ARPA:SASW@MIT-MC (04/30/85)

From: Steven A. Swernofsky <SASW@MIT-MC>

MSG:  *MSG   3987
Date: 04/29/85 09:31:53
From: JOHN at MIT-XX
Re:   SEMINAR

Date: Mon 29 Apr 85 09:33:27-EDT
From: John J. Doherty <JOHN@MIT-XX.ARPA>
To: bboard@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: john@MIT-XX.ARPA

			SEMINAR

		DATE:	April 29, 1985
		TIME:	Refreshments    1:50
			Seminar		2:00
		PLACE:	NE43-512A

	COMPUTER COMMUNITIES SEMINAR SERIES

  	 Xerox Grant Experiments at M.I.T.

	    Prof. Thomas Malone
	     M.I.T. Sloan School

In the past year, under the Xerox University Grants Program, MIT has
received 25 Dandelion workstations, with
the following three software environments:  Star, Interlisp-D, and
Mesa/XDE (Xerox Development Environment) and associated file and
print servers.  This talk will describe the
Xerox equipment, our plans for integrating it with the MIT computing
environment, and the research projects currently underway by investigators
in the Sloan School, Statistics Center, and Operations Research Center.

The projects include:  (1) an intelligent system for finding, filtering,
and routing electronic mail and other documents, (2) an expert advisor
for statistical analysis, (3) a distributed database system, (4) a network
name server, (5) group decision-making experiments, and (6) interactive
graphics tools for human-aided optimization.

SASW@MIT-MC.ARPA (12/07/85)

From: "Steven A. Swernofsky" <SASW@MIT-MC.ARPA>

MSG:  *MSG   4790
Date: 12/06/85 11:38:31
From: LYALL at MIT-XX.ARPA
Re:   Seminar

Date: Fri 6 Dec 85 11:34:59-EST
From: Neena Lyall <LYALL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
To: *mac@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: lyall@MIT-XX.ARPA

                         Wednesday, December 11, 1985

                               2:15 Refreshments
                                 2:30 Lecture

                                Room: NE43-512A

            A DISTRIBUTED FILE SYSTEM FOR A NETWORK OF WORKSTATIONS

                       Paul Leach and Nathaniel Mishkin
                               (Apollo Computer)

The  Apollo workstation supports a distributed file system based on the concept
of a "single-level store."  Files are "objects" identified by 64 bit  IDs  that
are unique across all Apollo file systems.  A process accesses an object's data
by mapping the object into the process's address space and making normal memory
references.   The distinction between local and remote objects is known only to
the pager, which loads objects' pages on demand.

We will discuss several aspects of this architecture that we feel  are  crucial
to  its  success:    a  distributed  lock  manager,  caching  of object data, a
network-wide registry of users, and a distributed, replicated  naming  database
that is used to locate nodes based on name.

Conventional  stream  I/O  (open,  close,  read,  write,  etc.)  is provided by
"Streams."  Streams can be used to access objects in the single-level store and
other  objects  that  support  the  concept  of  stream I/O (e.g.  tape drives,
terminal) I/O lines.  Streams is object-oriented and extensible---the  behavior
of  Streams  depends  on the type of the object.  Users can define new types of
objects and write managers that implement the stream  operations  for  the  new
type.

We  will  discuss the the principles behind Streams' extensibility and describe
how we  see  it  being  used  as  the  mechanism  for  supporting  file  system
connections in a heterogeneous environment.

The   Apollo   distributed   file  system  has  been  implemented  on  a  680x0
microprocessor-based workstation.  Workstations are connected by a  12MB  token
ring;  rings  can  be  connected  by  gateways  to  form  an internetwork.  All
workstations in the internet have equal access to the distributed file  system.
The internet at Apollo Computer has over 1000 workstations.

Host: Professor Richard E. Zippel