[comp.protocols.misc] X.25 software implementation from UofBC?

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (03/22/91)

Is it true (and can someone point me to) that the University of
British Columbia has implemented an X.25 protocol layer for Unix?

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.020730.2018@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

   Is it true (and can someone point me to) that the University of
   British Columbia has implemented an X.25 protocol layer for Unix?

Yes. UBC implemented X.25 for BSD, giving 4.[23] BSD X.25 sockets. It
was available to academic institutions for a nominal sum - something
like $100 Canadian. The code was part of UBC's efforts on the EAN
X.400 messaging system. It used the synchronous port of DEC's DMF32
board to drive the X.25 line. I understand that the whole project was
being moved on to Suns. We were happy users of this code for a few
years, but since the X.25 line were moved, I haven't been following
what UBC were doing.

Here's some old mail from UBC about this code. [Notice the date.]
Things could have changed a lot since then.

	Date: 8  Jun 86 19:32 PDT
	From: John Demco <demco@ean.ubc.cdn>
			  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
			  Should this be demco@cdn.ubc.ean??? - JR
	Subject: UBC X.25 kernel software

	Hi, my apologies for keeping you waiting so long for a response from
	UBC. Below is a short description of the 4.2BSD X.25 software available
	from UBC.  If you are still interested in the software, please let me
	know and I will send you the license forms. (The cost is a distribution
	fee of $Canadian 100.) The X.25 implementation will also be included in
	future versions of EAN for BSD UNIX.

	Regards,
	John Demco

===========================
                             UBC X.25 software for 4.2 BSD

           This document briefly describes the X.25 software package
           available from the University of British Columbia (UBC). This
           software package is available to Academic users on completion of
           a license agreement. The software has been developed over the
           past few years by various individuals both in the Computer
           Science Department and the Computing Centre. The software runs
           both in 4.2 BSD VAX systems and some SUN workstations. However
           due to licensing restrictions this software distribution only
           contains VAX support.

                The software comes in two flavours: the 'classic' X.25
           point-to-point version and the X.25-over-Ethernet version. Both
           versions can be run simultaneously.

                This document assumes a working familiarity with the ISO
           Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. The description is
           modelled along OSI lines.

           CLASSIC X.25 SOFTWARE

           This software allows the UNIX system to function as a X.25 DTE.
           It can be connected to either a private (e.g. UBCnet) or public
           (e.g. DATAPAC or TELENET) X.25 network over a standard
           synchronous link. The software allows the host to make outbound
           X.25 network calls to other X.25 hosts and to receive inbound
           X.25 calls. The various pieces of software reside at the
           physical, link, packet and application layer.

           o Physical level software

           The software currently supports two synchronous hardware devices.

             * DEC DUP device. This is a single character non-DMA device. It
               has been around for a long time and allows systems to be X.25
               connected for a modest cost.

             * DEC DMF device. This is a DMA synchronous device that has
               less host overhead but is more expensive.

           o Link level software

           There are two pieces of software that provide the HDLC elements
           of procedure in DTE LAPB mode.

           o Packet level software

           This layer of software provides the network level of X.25. It
           currently supports the 1976 and 1980 levels.

           o Application layer software

           This term refers to the pieces of software that make the X.25
           layers useful. The 'pseudo-tty' driver is changed. In addition
           there are changes to the login process. Incoming calls are
           handled using the X.29 daemon and outbound calls are handled
           using the NIM daemon. In addition there is an x25config program
           that allows you to tailor the configuration of your X.25
           environment dynamically.

           X.25 OVER ETHERNET SUPPORT(XE)

           This software implements the necessary procedures to allow you to
           run X.25 between components that are on an ethernet. This
           implementation predates the International recommendations and is
           a direct port of the UBCnet implementation. UBCnet is the local
           area network developed and run by the Computing Centre at UBC.

                This software resides as a link layer entity in the hosts
           and as such builds on all the existing upper level software. The
           UBCnet implementation uses the IEEE 802.2 Class I and II elements
           of procedure for maintaining connections to other
           ethernet-attached components. The software includes the following
           components:

             * A modified 3COM ethernet driver that allows the same hardware
               device to be used by both the TCP/IP and XE families. We have
               experienced no problems in using the ethernet with different
               protocol families.

             * The link layer entity that masquerades as a link layer yet
               provides the XE functionality. This layer uses a
               proceduralized interface to the IEEE 802.2 elements of
               procedure.

                As mentioned previously, the upper layers are unchanged and
           are common to both the 'classical' and XE implementations. More
           details on the XE implementation are available on request.

           PLANNED EXTENSIONS AND ENHANCEMENTS

           We intend at some point to incorporate X.29 support into the
           kernel. This is primarily for efficiency reasons. The current
           framework is quite workable but this extension would give the
           whole package more of a 'production' feel. In addition we might
           construct a network call program that would make outbound calls.

rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (03/28/91)

Last I heard, the UBC X.25 has been donated to UCB for possible inclusion
in a future BSD.  FYI.  sigh...