[comp.protocols.misc] Running TCP/IP on Novell workstations

jaj@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jelle A. Jorritsma) (05/14/91)

We are starting a project to network our Novell workstations to
other hosts(Unisys A-series,IBM AS400, Unix servers,etc) via
TCP-IP. We've got an evaluation package from FTP and all we want to
do initially is just to tie in two stations on the Novell network
thru TCP/IP. We are able to bring up just the TCP/IP on the
stations or just Netware but not both(which is our goal). The
ethernet cards we are using are ne2000 and we have ne2000 packet
driver. We also have gone thru the SHGEN to generate a new IPX
shell. Listed below is what's in the autoexec.bat:
REM NE2000 using IRQ=5, I/O=320h 0h320h
ne2000 -n 0x60 0x05 0x320h
ipx
NET3

Everything loaded fine, until net3 which returns File Server not
found.
Supposedly, the ne2000 packet driver's -n option would allow it to
deal with the 802.3/Ethernet II(used by TCP/IP) without
reconfiguring the server. FTP's suggestion was that I try
reconfiguring the LAN driver on the server to recognize the two
protocols. Unfortunately, the cards we are using in our servers do
not support ETHERNET II.

Has anybody out there encountered this problem and found a solution
without reconfiguring the server???
All help would be greatly appreciated!!!

=======jelle jorritsma======jaj@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US========

freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jay Freeman) (05/18/91)

jaj@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jelle A. Jorritsma) writes:

>We are starting a project to network our Novell workstations to
>other hosts(Unisys A-series,IBM AS400, Unix servers,etc) via
>TCP-IP. We've got an evaluation package from FTP and all we want to
>do initially is just to tie in two stations on the Novell network
>thru TCP/IP. We are able to bring up just the TCP/IP on the
>stations or just Netware but not both(which is our goal). The
>ethernet cards we are using are ne2000 and we have ne2000 packet
>driver. We also have gone thru the SHGEN to generate a new IPX
>shell. Listed below is what's in the autoexec.bat:
>REM NE2000 using IRQ=5, I/O=320h 0h320h
>ne2000 -n 0x60 0x05 0x320h
     add -d here
>ipx
>NET3

>Everything loaded fine, until net3 which returns File Server not
>found.
>Supposedly, the ne2000 packet driver's -n option would allow it to
>deal with the 802.3/Ethernet II(used by TCP/IP) without
>reconfiguring the server. FTP's suggestion was that I try
>reconfiguring the LAN driver on the server to recognize the two
>protocols. Unfortunately, the cards we are using in our servers do
>not support ETHERNET II.

>Has anybody out there encountered this problem and found a solution
>without reconfiguring the server???
>All help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi, try adding the -d option to the packet driver. This delays (-d, getit?)
execution of the packet driver until after NET3 has completed its business.
We use this successfully here with wd8003 cards. Good luck, Jay

e-mail: freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

* 73 de Jay, WT9S     Internet: freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                *
*                     Packet:   wt9s@n9hhi.il.usa.na                    *

johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (05/18/91)

jaj@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jelle A. Jorritsma) writes:

>... We are able to bring up just the TCP/IP on the
>stations or just Netware but not both(which is our goal). The
>ethernet cards we are using are ne2000 and we have ne2000 packet
>driver. We also have gone thru the SHGEN to generate a new IPX
>shell. Listed below is what's in the autoexec.bat:
>REM NE2000 using IRQ=5, I/O=320h 0h320h
>ne2000 -n 0x60 0x05 0x320h
>ipx
>NET3
>Everything loaded fine, until net3 which returns File Server not
>found.

Hopefully you have Version 9 of the Clarkson Packet Driver collection.
Version 8 had a small omission which broke the -n functionality.

Make sure you did SHGEN using BYU's PDSHELL.OBJ, and not a NE2000
driver.  You can't have the NE2000 packet driver trying to control the
Ethernet card, and a NE2000 driver in IPX trying to control the Ethernet
card at the same time.  The PDSHELL code will make IPX use the packet
driver for I/O.

>Supposedly, the ne2000 packet driver's -n option would allow it to
>deal with the 802.3/Ethernet II(used by TCP/IP) without
>reconfiguring the server. ...

Yes, the -n option will allow packets with Novell's 802.3 packet
encapsulation to be used, instead of Novell packets with Ethernet II
encapsulation as normally used by BYU's PDSHELL.

>Has anybody out there encountered this problem and found a solution
>without reconfiguring the server???

The code in the -n option was developed to avoid having to reconfigure
servers (and obtain Ethernet II Boot ROMS).

freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jay Freeman) writes:

>Hi, try adding the -d option to the packet driver. This delays (-d, getit?)
>execution of the packet driver until after NET3 has completed its business.
>We use this successfully here with wd8003 cards. Good luck, Jay

Not quite.  The -d option delays the packet driver's initialization of
the Ethernet card until the packet driver is actually used (by NET3) for
the first time.  This allows a PC to boot from a Novell server using the
Ethernet driver in the Novell Boot ROM and load the packet driver,
IPX_PD and NET3 and close the boot image file before the packet driver
takes over control of the Ethernet board.  (More gory details available
on request.)

If you aren't remote booting, I can't see any reason to use -d, and it
may suppress some error reporting information.

        John
--
John Mann, Leader - Networking Section  | johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Computer Centre, Monash University      | phone: +61 3 565 4774