[comp.protocols.misc] Mac System 7.0 vs. Unix

[This is no longer about X.  I'm redirecting followups to
comp.protocols.misc.]

In article <46@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>AppleTalk??  What good is that except to talk to another Apple?
>UNIX supports *at* *least* TCP/IP, which is the de facto industry
>standard for internetworks - this means that UNIX networking will talk
>to many non-UNIX boxes (like, IBM PC's, Amiga's, &c.)  Try *that* with
>a Mac!

Where have you been?  MacTCP has been around for at least a year, and
before that, NCSA Telnet had a self-contained TCP/IP implementation.

There are also AppleTalk implementations for non-Apple systems; there's
nothing Apple-hardware-specific about the AppleTalk protocol.  Our Unix
systems run Columbia Appletalk (CAP) so that they can send files to laser
printers on LocalTalk networks.

And there are standalone devices that perform high-level protocol
translation.  For instance, Cayman Gatorboxes can translate AFP to NFS and
LPD to Appletalk's printing protocol.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com